11 Things I Wish I Knew Before Sorority Recruitment

The Ins and Outs of Sorority Recruitment

893
UA Panhellenic

Sorority recruitment, at least in the South, is a week of sun, sisters, and sweat. For many, recruitment is enjoyable and memorable, but for some, it's downright stressful. From trying to impress three girls in a span of fifteen minutes, to attempting to maintain an interesting conversation for an hour, recruitment isn't always easy, but it is always worth it. So, here's eleven things I wish I knew before sorority recruitment:

1. Invest in Sunscreen, Deodorant, and Makeup Setting Spray.

Recruitment week is almost always scorching hot, and even if you're the type of girl that tans, it is well worth it to save your skin and purchase some cheap sunscreen. As for deodorant, USE IT. Many girls like to shy away from using men's deodorant, but not only does it last longer, but it also comes with a cheaper price tag. In regards to makeup setting spray, it can definitely come in handy. Most girls sweat so much during recruitment that by the time they reach their final house, they've sweat their face away.

2. DO NOT Wear Heels Unless You Absolutely Have To.

Walking around the sorority village is already enough work, much less if you're wearing heels. During the formal days of recruitment, there is really only one day where heels are absolutely required. The majority of the time sandals, flats, or wedges will do the trick.

3. It's Pronounced "Cai" Not "Chi".

Gamma Chi? Chi Omega? Alpha Chi Omega? Make sure you're pronouncing these correctly in order to save yourself from embarrassment, and if not for your own embarrassment, do it for everyone around you's second-hand embarrassment.

4. Regardless Of Where Your Gamma Chi Group Ends Up, You'll Always Remember Each Other.

At first, your gamma chi group seems like a blur of names and faces and hometowns, however over the course of the week you'll learn to admire and love certain qualities of the girls in your group. Even after you all go your separate chapter ways, you'll still smile at each other on the crowded campus.

5. Crying Is Perfectly Acceptable And Understandable.

Recruitment is stressful, and even if you don't succumb to the waterworks, there will more than likely be several girls that do, and you should respect that. After all, what do you expect to happen when you stick thirteen-hundred girls into one central location?

6. Don't Be Afraid To Ask The Sisters Questions About Their Chapters.

The sisters are there to provide you with answers to any questions that you may have. However, if you do ask questions, try to ask about the chapter or the sister. This helps the sisters know that you are curious to learn more and are interested in them.

7. Don't Stay Up Any Later Than You Already Have To.

During recruitment, the days are long and the nights are not long enough. As much as you want to talk to your roommate about all of your house experiences, sometimes it's best to just get some shut-eye for the early morning tomorrow.

8. EAT THE FOOD!

Oftentimes, the chapters will provide food or drink for the girls rushing. The foods and drinks get more elaborate and decorated as you get closer to preference round. The girls in the chapter have spent a lot of time choosing and preparing the food and drink for the potential new members, so it's courteous to drink a few sips, even if you don't particularly feel hungry or thirsty.

9. Don't Be Afraid To Tell The Sisters How Much You Like The Chapter.

Many girls are unsure on which sorority they will take to the next round, however, if you are sure that you love a certain chapter, let them know. The girls in the chapter want to know that you like them, just as much as you want to know how much they like you.

10. Don't Listen To Rumors About Certain Chapters.

Although it can be hard to ignore certain rumors that you've heard about a house, coming into recruitment with an open mind is crucial to finding the perfect fit for you. Another reason to ignore the rumors is that oftentimes they don't represent the chapter accurately. That chapter could be your new home by the end of the week, so try to ignore the rumors that you hear.

11. Just Because You Don't Get The Sorority You Want Doesn't Mean That It's The End Of The World.

Sometimes things happen for a reason, as cliche as that sounds. The system that Panhellenic uses for sorority recruitment has proven successful for years. Regardless if a certain chapter was your last choice, you will always end up where you need to be in the end. You've just got to trust the process.