11 Simple, Healthy and Delicious Snack Ideas for College Students

Sometimes the meal plan just isn't enough...

121
Simply Fresh Cooking

1. Peanut butter and apple slices

This classic snack is both cheap and one of the easiest to make. After using an apple cutter to slice the fruit, spread a little peanut butter on the skin of each slice, and sprinkle with almond slivers. You could also dip it in another kind of nut, trail mix, or flaxseed for a savory spark!

2. Grapefruit

It seems to me that the time we typically spend sleeping compared to studying and going out in college is minimal, so it is important to keep our immune systems in check somehow. Grapefruit is very high in vitamin C, as are oranges and many other citrus fruits of the like. It also enhances heart health and improves metabolism. So anyone fearful of the “freshman 15” or weary about oncoming sickness, try this simple snack out

3. Greek vanilla yogurt and granola

Go Greek! And I’m not talking about sorority or fraternity life. Some of us don’t have fancy kitchens stocked with all the essential meals and snacks… But in all honesty, this is my favorite breakfast or mid-day snack. It comes in a variety of flavors and it can be sweetened with honey or small pieces of fruit. If you’re a yogurt lover like me, double your protein intake with Dannon Greek yogurt, and you’ll simultaneously find yourself consuming half the amount of carbs and sodium than a typical yogurt brand.

4. Frozen grapes

Before you get all squinty and skeptical about this one, give it a try. Frozen grapes are such a healthy alternative to ice cream and popsicles in an average college student’s freezer. The majority of my friends prefer green grapes as opposed to red; however, the red ones contain more antioxidants.

5. Alejandro's tortillas

If you’re looking for a cheap, yet authentic, Mexican tortilla, this is the ultimate brand. In reality though, any kind of tortilla is a delicious addition to a college student’s fridge. Sprinkle some shredded Mexican-blend cheese on top and throw it on the skillet or in the microwave for a cheese quesadilla. Salsa on the side gives it just the right amount of “kick” too.

6. Triscuits, cream cheese and cucumber slices

Instead of eating endless bags of potato chips and other flavorful, unhealthy “crunchies,” Triscuits provide a good source of fiber and the cream cheese on top makes the snack more savory and delicious. Cucumbers are also a healthy substitute for crunchy chips and crackers, so you can either add it to your Triscuit creation, or simply just spread cream cheese on cucumber slices which serve as a fresh alternative to crackers.

7. Eggs

At least buy half a dozen every other week. If you don’t have a stove to cook your favorite omelet on, then mix a couple eggs up in a bowl, add some milk and pop it in the microwave for one minute. Eggs can be eaten at any meal, and they are high in protein and essential fats. Adding veggies, cheese and even chicken or ham can increase the flavor - and fill you up even more!

8. Lettuce wraps

While this one isn’t always simple for dorm life, it typically is for those living in apartments or houses, since they will likely have greater access to a stove. What makes lettuce wraps delicious is actually what is inside of them. A few examples range from dressed veggies to fruit or, my favorite, chicken! If you decide to go the chicken route, I would suggest adding some Teriyaki jelly or sweet chili sauce, and sesame seeds on top.

9. Carrots and hummus

This is another healthy substitute for chips. The hummus provides most of the zest in the snack; there are multiple brands and flavors of hummus one can get at the local grocery store. Normally, college students are depleted of their daily-recommended vegetable serving so eating a few carrots for lunch is quite substantial on a college diet.

10. Dark chocolate

Instead of satisfying your milk chocolate and fudge cravings on the weekends (or possibly every day), indulge in a little bit of dark chocolate as a nutritious alternative. A few reasons why college students should eat more dark chocolate are as follows: dark chocolate is good for heart health and the brain, it helps control blood sugar, it is full of antioxidants, vitamins and minerals, and it contains theobromine, which is proven to support tooth enamel! Who knew (dark) chocolate could actually be beneficial for dental health?!

11. Popcorn

Spare the butter if you can! The healthiest popcorn is actually made on a stovetop or with a popcorn maker. Coconut oil is what I have used in the past to cook the kernels, but olive oil is fine too. This snack is low in calories and high in fiber, which is key for your metabolism! If there is not a stove available to you, it may just be easier to purchase a bag of pre-popped popcorn at the grocery store. Try not to buy microwave popcorn; instead, buy it unsalted and in a bag.