11 Reasons Why You Should Fall Madly In Love With Fall

There's something special about the changing of season and its many colors.

16
Edward Byrne

"This autumn in New York
Transforms the slums into Mayfair
Oh, autumn in New York
You'll need no castles in Spain."
— Ella Fitzgerald & Louis Armstrong, "Autumn in New York"

While many will feel a sullen reckoning toward the ending of particularly humid summer, a few others like myself will rejoice in the return of a most beautiful season. As summer gives off the vibes of warmth, relaxation and worry-free living, autumn gives off a colder but calming and cozy mood that some are more attracted to (especially living up north where the cold is often something you're more accustomed to). Sure, you're less likely (or maybe more likely) to see a beach vacation in your future, but who could pass up the natural beauty of the region when autumn comes to visit. There's nothing better than a season that can encompass your happiness, and for me, the aspects of fall below are reasons why anyone should fall in love with this season too.

1. The myriad of bright fall colors on trees and leaves.

Though the changing of the season can be hard on the psyche, naturally beautiful views and picturesque fall foliage like this can sure ease your mind. Yes, you may be trading in your turquoise blue waters and white, sandy beaches for a gloomier autumn sky. However, how could you not be in awe of all the rich reds, oranges and yellows on your landscape of trees? It's hard not to fall in love with the northeast region during this time of year.

2. Apple, pumpkin and caramel flavored items sold during the season.

Often in summer, it can be too hot to even think about eating anything other than ice cream or a popsicle, let alone eating at all. When the cold breeze of fall swoops in, hot apple cider and everyone's favorite — pumpkin spice lattes from Starbucks have us wanting to warm up to a hot cup of joe and a cider doughnut.

3. Being able to wear oversized sweaters, scarves and soft, comfy hoodies.

Wearing comfortable and soft clothes without feeling like you are going to succumb to the intense summer humidity is likely another reason many cannot wait for fall's return. Though the temperatures will get cooler, bundling up for warmth is undoubtedly much simpler than cooling down during the summer heat.

4. Say goodbye to shaving (for the most part)!

Whoever said summer is completely stress-free has not had to endure shaving their legs 2–3 times a week to look and feel confident in their summer shorts (or skirts). Nobody wants unnecessary leg hair shown to the world when they're just trying to stay cool, and it can be stressful to go through several hours and cans of shaving cream just to feel normal in public. Fall is a time when shaving can be put on hold for a little longer while you regain composure and rock some leggings or denim jeans. Let your leg hair be free, and embrace the preliminary season of not shaving.

5. Football fanatics rejoice — fall sports return!

Fair-skinned fellows rejoice! Fall is known for its cloudy, cool weather, and there's little chance of the sun peeking out to burn you with its rays during this time of year. Not having to reapply sunscreen every hour does have its advantages.

7. Fall-scented candles

Nothing beats fall when it's finally cool enough to start burning your favorite fall scents again. From Apple Cider to Pumpkin to Autumn Leaves, there are so many options to warm and scent your home during the season to keep cozy during the colder nights.

8. Pumpkin and apple picking are back.

When it's fall, your mind automatically switches to Halloween/Thanksgiving mode. Since Halloween is the first fall holiday, pumpkin picking and carving is sure to be had, and picking out a plump pumpkin is always a fun activity to do with your friends, family or loved one by your side helping you to pick out "the one."

9. Halloween and Thanksgiving are close, and the holiday season is back!

There's a certain amount of happiness and chaos in the air when the holidays begin. And for many, that starts when fellow fall holidays Halloween and Thanksgiving arrive. If your birthday is in one of the fall months like mine is, you tend to get even more excited about the fall holidays! I love to be festive and the holidays returning are one of the many reasons why welcoming and being excited for fall is not so hard to do.

10. Bonfires

Just because the summer's gone doesn't mean you have to ditch the summer bonfires. In fact, when the weather is cooler, it's the perfect time to have an autumn fire. Combating the cool nights of fall with warm drinks or activities is what many enjoy most about the season. And speaking of warm activities to combat the cold.

11. Perfect weather for cuddling next to the one you love.

You can do this all year round, but is there anything better than doing it to purposefully warm up your bodies? If you cuddle more frequently when you're colder, I think fall serves its purpose.

There's so much about fall to fall in love with. The sights, the smells, the tastes, the sounds and the festive decorations all get me so excited to welcome the season this year. There's not much about fall that I don't like, and I've never understood the people that over-exaggerate summer's heat while downplaying the beauty and coziness of autumn. Fall is a diamond in the rough and a hidden treasure that should be enjoyed by all. The fall ends summer's adventures, but brings about new changes and endless possibilities. I'm excited to see what opportunities will arise at the end of the year and what changes fall will bring. For that, I am ready to fall madly in love with fall.