11 Reasons To Babysit

11 Reasons To Babysit

As if spending time with children wasn't reason enough

518
11 Reasons To Babysit
Huffington Post

I have been babysitting since I was about 12 years old. From babies to almost middle-schoolers, I have watched them all. Babysitting goes beyond being just a simple job and can provide a multitude of valuable life experiences.

1. Prepares you for your future children

Changing diapers, burping babies, and knowing how to entertain a kid are necessary skills to have if you ever want to have children of your own. While it sounds awful, babysitting is the perfect way to practice parenting on other people's kids before you have your own.

2. Changing a diaper is a humbling experience

Have you ever changed a diaper? Sometime it is fairly easy, but every now and then you can get a real doozy. Whether its pee shooting all over the room, or the most foul smelling experience you have ever had, changing a diaper will you knock your pride down a level.

3. Kids are the cutest

From talking about who their new "boyfriend" is to inviting you to their birthday party two years from now, kids are usually adorable and capable of providing a laugh. They also can be the sweetest people ever. There is no greater feeling than walking into a room of children and having all of them run up to you with hugs and saying "I love you".

4. Impact a child's life.

The people that children spend a lot of time with leave an impression on the child that can last a lifetime. By setting an example to the child you are watching you can help mold him or her into a decent human being that this world so desperately needs.

5. Excellent way to earn money

Two words; no taxes. Also, what better way to make money than playing all day long? Sometimes you might even get really lucky and just watch sleeping children the whole time. There is no easier money than that.

6. You stay up to date on children's culture.

Can you sing the entire Veggie Tales theme song? How about know the characters on Sesame Street? While this may seem like useless information to know, you never know when you will have a trivia game featuring only children's culture.

7. Gives you patience

Two hours spent playing with the same toy over and over again without screaming and throwing the toy at a wall is an excellent way to practice patience. Cranky babies can also be a thing of nightmares, making almost any other situation seem infinitely better. Screaming, throwing toys, and crying are common occurrences that will drive you up the wall.

8. Best birth control there is

Have you ever watched two toddlers at the same time? If you learn nothing else, you will learn that you do not want to have children for at least ten more years. Giving constant supervision and having no free time gets old real fast.

9. Learn responsibility

What greater responsibility can be given than to be entrusted with someone else's child. Having to be the "adult" in the room can make you mature at a faster rate and better prepared for future situations in life.

10. You can do it at an earlier age than most jobs

Most jobs require you to be 16, but the age of a babysitter is really up to the discretion of the parents. Having the opportunity to make some spare money while young can help you get all those cool middle school trends everyone else has.

11. Gives the parents a break

Parenting is rough. No matter how much a parent loves spending time with their kid, they need a break every now and then. Date night is essential to keeping a happy, healthy marriage and you can be the parent's new best friend by providing them with that opportunity.