11 Reasons College Students Should Love Thanksgiving As Told By 'Friends'

Lots of food, family, friends, and free time. What's not to like?

21
Film.com

With the long awaited Thanksgiving break just days away, students begin to get anxious for the time to relax with friends, family, and of course, lots of food. Rather than being skeptical about all the possible negatives of this time, college kids should look forward to this break away from school and all that it brings with it.

1. Excessive amounts of delicious food

To a struggling college student, there is nothing better than sitting down at a table filled with homemade, free, heart-warming foods that have been calling your name all semester as you ate ramen noodles.

2. Hometown friends

Everyone returns from their various schools at the same time and is reunited for the first time since they departed in August. This means lots of stories, laughs, and joyful moments with the people you have been missing so deeply this semester.

2. Professors show some mercy.

If you get lucky, you will get a professor or two that will cancel class the days before Thanksgiving and maybe even lighten the work load so they can enjoy their break.

3. You get a break.

After a long semester, whether it's a full week or just a few days, there is nothing better than getting some days free of classes, campus, professors, and everything that goes along with it.

4. Leftovers, leftovers, and more leftovers

Lots of food usually means extra food, so don't forget to pick up some Tupperware containers so you can stock up on feast-worthy foods and avoid making food for yourself for a few more days after break.

5. Doing nothing at all is acceptable.

It is very rare in college to have an extensive amount of time to just sit and do nothing, and even if it happens, it's usually due to excessive amounts of stress and/or a breakdown. This break gives you an opportunity to sit on the couch, eat, watch football, and just relax wherever and with whoever you please.

6. The semester is almost over.

By the time you return to campus following break, the end of the semester and another break is only a couple weeks away and that is so overwhelming, but extremely exciting at the same time. It's just a few more days and then another, much longer, break is on our hands.

7. Much needed family time.

As crazy as mine, and I'm sure everyone else's family is, it's always a good time to be reunited with any amount of wild relatives and enjoy at least a little time together before returning to reality.

8. Black Friday.

Thanksgiving and Black Friday have become hand and hand, especially as the start time is progressing further and further back; this year, some stores are opening as early as 6 p.m. on Thursday. However, the chaos and madness of this day has always given me a pretty good laugh. Plus, who doesn't love great deals?

9. Cyber Monday.

Even better than Black Friday, Cyber Monday means all the deals, savings, and shopping without the people, chaos, or even leaving my couch. It's the best way to get everything you missed on Friday while staying home in your PJs. It really is the best of both worlds.

10. Christmas season is on its way.

Although the holiday celebrations have migrated their way to beginning earlier and earlier, after Thanksgiving, the true spirit of Christmas comes out in malls, restaurants, the radio, and the people; it's the best time of year.

11. Giving thanks.

We all get the opportunity to look around at our lives with those we care about most and see that we really do have things to be thankful for. No matter how, where or with whom you are spending your day, make sure you don't forget to smile and appreciate what you have.

Take this time, when you get to step away from the hectic life of a college student, to be happy with all that you have even though it gets hard sometimes. Enjoy the time with the one's you care about most. So don't forget to be thankful for everything in your life, that's what this holiday is all about.