10 Unconventional Things I'm Grateful For

"Give thanks for a little, and you will find a lot."

60

10 Uncommon Things I'm Grateful For

We've all heard the usual spiel at this time of year: Someone's grateful for family, someone for the food, someone else for a roof over their heads. Now, don't get me wrong- those things are crucial to be grateful for, and should never be taken for granted. But here I have compiled a list of things that I'm grateful for that most people may not think to include in their holiday litany, things that I have come to thank God for over time and as I've gotten older. See how many of them you can add to your list, too.

1. The Food At My School

"WHAT?!" you might say. "You like that food?!" Well, yes, the answer is I do. I don't always have time to even grab a meal, let alone cook it myself, so it's a great comfort that I have many options available to me that someone else has prepared and worked hard on. Even if I don't particularly care for some of the choices, I am lucky enough to be afforded a choice, and that's enough for me.

2. The Chance To Make Decisions On My Own

Being an adult can be pretty scary sometimes. It's not easy being far away from home and keeping very very busy, but it also gives me a kind of freedom I may not have had, had I stayed back at home where I was. I have been allowed the chance to not only learn new things and succeed on my own, but also to make mistakes and learn from them, too. It's good practice for when I graduate and life becomes truly real and impactful.

3. The Ability To Adapt And Adjust

Sorry for the alliteration, and this is not a #humblebrag, but it is one quality that I think is important and that is something not everyone has been given. There are people who really struggle with certain challenges thrown their way, but I am blessed enough to be among those who can do their best to work with their given circumstances and create something better from it.

4. My Body and My Personality

These may strike you as odd choices for the gratitude list, but over time I have come to appreciate who I am both physically and personally. I have grown and changed a lot in the past few years, and I hope to continue to do so as I explore all I can be and do and create a life for myself that is entirely unique and my own.

5. My Imperfections

Again, perhaps an unconventional thought, but these small things can play a big role in the way I approach self-love. My flaws present me with a choice daily- do I complain and feel ashamed about them, or do I do whatever I need to do to change them? I don't need to weed out every stray eyebrow hair regularly, but perhaps I should stay focused on improving my inability to speak below a shout. These small things force me to continue working on myself and growing and moving past the irritating minutiae.

6. My Struggles

I would not be the person I am today if I had had an easy life. Certainly I've never had to sleep in a cardboard box, or faced war and destruction in my homeland, terrible travesties so many people are facing currently, but I was not born with a silver spoon in my mouth by any means. I've come through a lot, and it has only served to make me stronger, and for that I know I can be grateful.

7. Healthy Relationships And Friendships

It has taken me years to finally be able to be in a place mentally and spiritually that I can stand up for myself and my worth and demand more. I deserve nothing less than the best of interactions with loved ones, and that is why healthy, mature, and unconditional relationships are crucial to me at this point in my life. Thankfully, I can say that I am surrounded by loving and wonderful people who only improve my life and make it happier by their very presence.

8. A Family Who Loves And Supports Me No Matter What

This could fall under the category of generic gratitude-ities, but I think there is something deeper here. While I did not get to have too much time with my extended family growing up, I know now that they are more than ready and willing to love me just the way I am. They would hug me and tell me they were glad to see me, no matter what I did or who I brought home or if I was wearing makeup or not, something I value extremely highly because I know many people who are not often given such a freeing sense of home.

9. My Gifts And Abilities

Not everyone is given a chance to be able to sing and dance and act for a living, and my major gives me the opportunity to do that every day. I may not always be getting paid or being wildly appreciated, but in this day and age it is imperative that those with the ability to make the world a brighter or more cheerful place do so with all of their might, something I strive for everyday.

10. My Christmas Birthday

Unconventional? Absolutely. A unique struggle? You got it. As a small child I used to hope that no one would forget my December 25th birthday (again) because they were so focused on their own loved ones, but as I got older I came to appreciate what that meant: that those I knew were too wrapped up in seeing friends and family and spreading love and good cheer to have time to wrap up any old material thing and focus on me, me, me.

And spreading love and good cheer is what the holiday season is all about- so don't forget to bring that into your own homes, folks, as you stuff the turkey and sing Christmas carols and hang stockings and decorations all around. Hug your friends and family and loved ones tight, and count your blessings everyday. There are endless blessings all around, we just need to stop and look for them. That's why we have the holidays, after all.