10 Tori Kelly Songs That Give You All The #Feels

3220

Tori Kelly, former Youtube star extraordinaire and now singer-songwriter-turned-pop star, came out with her first full-length album Unbreakable Smile on Tuesday, June 23rd.

Having attended her concert just days before the release, I most undoubtedly geeked out to the musical glory that is her debut record. In my humble opinion, her album is a perfect balance of both consistent and experimental; she's compiled heartbreaking ballads for which she's known and loved, as well as more optimistic anthem-like tunes with catchy choruses. Tori's work with well-known pop producer Max Martin has amplified the sound to match her impressive vocal skills - in songs like singles Nobody Love and Expensive - while necessarily toning it down for more introspective, personal songs like First Heartbreak.

As great as her new record is, I ended up with the conclusion that writing solely about her new songs wouldn't do justice to her entire discography. So, I have made a list of 10 of my favorite Tori Kelly songs, that will make everyone get all the #feels.

1. Eyelashes

This second song from her first EP Handmade Songs by Tori Kelly is - as the name of the album suggests - raw. I initially came to enjoy her music due to songs like this because of her willingness to discuss things that seem inconsequential - like her inability to bat her eyelashes when she's next to her crush. I - being an individual gifted with flirting skills of the Kids Bop cover of Call Me Maybe - can very much relate to the awkward interactions she mentions, and I'm sure others can too.

2. All in My Head

This other stand-out from Tori's debut EP is farther down in the spectrum of emotion, the chorus being an outcry of questions about the mutuality of feelings with her ex. Only the great Miss Kelly can do justice to a song that combines honesty and explosive vocals to this degree.

4. Dear No One

Perhaps her most well-known single (other than the recent Nobody Love), Dear No One looks at relationships from a cynical/ independent-minded point of view, boldly but sadly stating to her future significant other that "if you're out there I swear to be good to you/
But I'm done lookin', for my future someone." Once again, #feels.

5. Nobody Love

Let's finally change up the mood. This song epitomizes the other side of Tori's music, the side that shouts uplifting - almost PSA-like - messages to her fans. In an interview with The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon, she stated her willingness to give more depth to what could have been a simply repetitive pop song - demonstrated in the chorus - by talking about this generation's tendency to always search for something bigger and better rather than enjoying what is in front of the individual. Such meaning, very depth. But can we talk about that crazy run she does in the bridge??

6. Daydream

Speaking of PSA-like lyrics, no other piece from her discography quite like this last song from her second EP Foreword speaks about pursuing one's dream. Speaking directly to the audience she states, "Don’t quit your daydream/ Don’t forget to breathe/ Who you want to be is only up to you." These words - coming from the young star who truly did build her career from the bottom up - are rather convincing and touching. Furthermore, Daydream is proof that whether she is fully taking advantage of her impressive range or only sitting at her mid-range, she can woo her audience.

7. Paper Hearts

If Daydream sat mostly on her mid-range, Paper Hearts is where you feel the shivers from Tori's heart-wrenching falsetto. The song draws the parallel between the flimsiness of paper (which pictures essentially are) and evanescence of a relationship. Another great piece showcasing integrity that is Tori Kelly's music.

7. Falling Slow

I find this song from the full-length Unbreakable Smile refreshingly uncharacteristic of her music, more reminiscent of 90's R&B than anything else. It is clear that Tori is unafraid to try new styles, or in this case, bring back an older style with her twist.

9. First Heartbreak

I know I've already discusses a lot of her hearbreaking ballads, but they're all meaningful in different ways! This is the most stripped-down, simple acoustic song from her debut album, and after a listen, people are undoubtedly to start balling.

10. Funny (Live)

Last but not least, this live version of Funny included in Unbreakable Smile is a standout. What I find great about the album is that whether each song has much instrumental or very little, audibility of the lyrics is prioritized. In this case, the producers and Tori herself decided to include this simple song because of the truth tea it serves. Amazing choice, amazing voice.

Welp, that's it.

TL;DR - All her songs are great, go buy Unbreakable Smile!!!!