10 Tips for Upcoming Writers

10 Tips for Upcoming Writers

A little help can go a long way.

23
10 Tips for Upcoming Writers
Google

1. Write everything down.

Literally, everything. Every idea you have has the potential to be extraordinary. Whether it’s a fan fiction or an original or an essay topic, write it all down somewhere. You may never write on it again or it may become your bestseller, but each idea is special. Don’t lose it.

2. Get into it.

Like I said, each idea has loads of potential depending on where you take it and how much you strive for it to reach its maximum level of greatness. Delve into each idea you have as much as possible. Imagine each spark as its own novel that just made it through the publisher. Design it and craft it. Write summaries and descriptions, design a cover photo, write up character names and personalities, figure out the plot line, and scribble down some dialogue. Play around with it, do whatever you can to get yourself into your creative streak and make the idea shine!

3. Stay organized.

This is probably the most important rule. Whatever your means of writing is, there is always a way to stay organized. It is most important to know where every aspect of your story can be located. Make a folder/ file for your stories. As writers, we are messy and unorganized by nature. I know all about those new documents we create just to write down those two killer lines of dialogue we thought of at four-thirty in the morning. Make sure everything you’ve written and designed (whatever it may be) for your story is saved into the same folder. You’ll have every reference and document you need for your structure and plot, all in one place! No more lost documents and stickies!

4. Dictionaries and Thesauruses are your best friends!

We’ve all heard of the “Graveyard Words” (as my teachers called them). They are the forbidden and overused words of the English language. My advice for you is to write your chapter how you first think of it, and then proof it. Every word you see that you know can be spiced up a bit, Thesaurus it and make it pop to give the reader a better description of what is actually going on. Another thing, don’t use words if you aren’t sure of the meaning! If it sounds nice and you want to work it in, make sure to use a dictionary and place it properly. Your characters don’t “conjugate” in the library, they “congregate”. Know the difference!

5. There is such thing as too much!

Don’t go crazy with Thesauruses and descriptions. Contrary to popular belief, there is such thing as hounding the reader with too many big words and details. Keep it sophisticated, but keep them guessing. Odds are if you’re using the Thesaurus more than two times per sentence (and two is really pushing limits) you’re using it too much. Sometimes ordinary words are all right! Just don’t water down the entire story with them.

6. You’re painting a picture.

When you first start your story, hopefully you’re envisioning things. Your job as a writer is to make sure your readers can envision those things as well. The little details go a long way, trust me. Describing a room, the way a girl’s hair looks, what brand of shoes your guy is wearing, etc. makes so much different than being vague and leaving the reader to decide. Give them room to imagine themselves, but give them guidelines. Let them know what you see in your stories, too. For fanfiction this step is a bit trickier. I know the readers will probably know what things look like and where people are because they’ve already seen/ read about it one time, but there is nothing wrong with reinstating and adding your own tweaks.

7. Get opinions!

There is nothing wrong with asking for constructive criticism. If you’re proud, or even uncertain, about what you’ve written so far ask for comments from friends, family, and internet strangers. It’s refreshing to know what someone you think highly of has to say about your work. They’re saying it to help, not to hurt. Be open to everything and edit accordingly.

8. Remember who you’re writing for.

It’s very easy when writing to someone, such as an internet audience, to forget that the person you’re really writing for is you! As long as you are proud of what you’ve written, that’s what really matters. People get pushy and ask for new chapters as soon as they’ve read the ones you just posted an hour ago, and people will like and dislike your style. But in the end, you decide when you write, edit, and post. You have to be happy with yourself before others can.

9. You are your own biggest critic.

I can almost guarantee you that no one will criticize you harder than you will. Sometimes comments on the internet about your works are not-so-nice, but it’s very important to stay calm and collected. Respond with professionalism. More often than not, the poor soul didn’t exactly mean it the way they typed it (or you’ll scare them into saying they didn’t). You are the one who takes things and blows them out of proportion. It is times when you’re judging yourself way more harshly than anyone else, that it is a good idea to tell yourself all the good things in your story and read over all the good reviews you have. If you’re not positive and confident about your writing, it will start to show.

10. You are the story.

There is no other aspect of a story more important than you. It is your work of art, your baby, your creation. No story is truly fiction, there is always some hidden detail of the author in their works. Do not be afraid to break open your heart and pour it into your character’s words and actions. Take every place that brings back terrible memories and take your characters to it. Make them scream and cry and kick things like you did at two thirty on a Monday morning. Have them meet your best friend, introduce them to your favorite cousin, make sure they slap your ex. Your characters are you in your most raw form, and make sure they live up to who you are and the greatness you can achieve. Writing is time well spent, it is most important you enjoy it.