5. Make friends | The Odyssey Online

10 Things To Remember As A Transfer Student At OU

Communicate with your professors

114
Breanna Griffith

Before becoming a transfer student I started at a little community college in Oklahoma. I was there for 4 years and I was there for a long time because no one showed me how I was supposed to navigate college. After I graduated, I wanted to make sure I was doing everything correctly. When I applied to the University of Oklahoma as a transfer student, I had the privilege to be shown how a university should be run when I applied to OU. I thought it would be a difficult process, but it was one of the easiest that I have experienced being a college student. OU has made it so easy for me, even through the coronavirus pandemic. They communicate really well, but you have to know how to communicate through email. These are just a few things that I have learned thus far and some things that I think you should do before the fall semester begins:

1. Remember to check your email daily

Things can change with your university and this is also a great tool that you can use to communicate with your instructors.

2. Turn in all of your documents that you need

i.e. vaccination forms, the FAFSA, and transcripts. Make sure to check with your admissions department for the correct documentation you need before you come in the fall because they can and will put a hold on your account if you don't have everything that needs to be turned in.

3. If you are moving to a big campus — TOUR your campus

Tour it beforehand because you don't want to get lost during your first week of classes, as this could send a bad message to your professors if you're late.

4. Communicate with your professors

If you are having trouble in that course, they can help you get back on track.

5. Make friends

Get out of your comfort zone and go talk to people to see if you have an interest in someone in your class and go from there, you might find your best friend for life.

6. Be active on campus

Join clubs and organizations, also volunteer everywhere as this will be great for your resume for when you graduate.

7. Talk to your financial aid counselors

Make sure you are getting everything you need for college financially or if you have any questions.

8. Go dorm shopping

This is fun because you are going to a four-year university and you get to decorate your dorm any way you want to. You just have to make sure to follow your university's dorm guidelines.

9. Have fun the summer before

This is when you will be moving away and you will want to spend time with your friends from home before you move off. The memories will help to not get homesick.

10. Call your parents

When you are homesick, this is a big help because there is nothing like hearing your parent's voice when you are homesick.