10 Timeless Lessons We Learned From 'Gossip Girl'

"And who am I? That's one secret I'll never tell. You know you love me. xoxo, Gossip Girl"

1042
Fandom

1. People make mistakes, but they can always be forgiven.

If you have ever seen Gossip Girl, you should know this to be true. Each and every one of these characters has made HUGE mistakes, and they always forgive each other in the end, no matter how big they are. They have cheated on each other with their best friends, "killed" people, and ruined each others' weddings, but they always, always, ALWAYS go back to each other.

2. When you want something, you have to work for it.

Whether you relate to Blair taking over her mother's fashion business, Chuck taking over his father's real estate company, Serena getting a real job, or Dan writing his book, all you have to do is follow their lead in working for what you are trying to accomplish. Even though some of them may have failed, they still accomplished great things and matured because of the experiences.

3. Honesty is always the best policy.

Personally, my number one value in life is integrity: doing the right thing, even when no one is watching. Gossip Girl brought to life the fact that in order to be successful, you must always be honest. Some characters in the show had a really hard time learning this (a.k.a. Lily Humphrey and Dan).

4. Family comes first (unless you're Chuck Bass).

Lily Humphrey took this to heart so much so that she sent an innocent man to prison for years by saying that he, a teacher, slept with her underage daughter (Serena), which actually never even happened. In Chuck's case, however, his father did everything he could to ruin his spirits, fake his own death, and even keep his mother away from him his whole life. Bart Bass was just an evil man.

5. Doing drugs and getting drunk never ends well.

Serena might be the best example of this, considering she was tricked into filming a sex tape, thought she killed someone by not helping them when they OD'd and got arrested all because she was under the influence.

6. Scheming gets you nowhere.

Blair is famed on her scheming. Whenever she wanted something to go a certain way, she would devise a plan and set it in motion. Most of the time these plans somehow backfired, and while dating Prince Louis, she discovered that although scheming is a huge part of who she is, it isn't something she should be doing.

7. You may not know people as well as you think you do.

Dan wrote an entire book on his "friends" and it was mostly all bad things. While he was telling the truth, for the most part, everyone was super angry at him for doing so behind their backs. *SPOILER ALERT* He also IS GOSSIP GIRL!! All those years and no one knew. Clearly, his friends never knew who he truly was.

8. Sometimes the people you love will bring you the most harm.

Chuck and Blair were no doubt in love, but since the timing just wasn't right for the longest time, they brought each other a lot of pain and suffering. Eventually, they figured everything out, but they spent multiple seasons crying over each other and losing their faith in love.

9. When you find what you love, never give up; even when everyone you know is putting you down.

Dan wrote a freaking book, was published, and had movie offers and all his friends were worried about were how they were portrayed in it. Yeah, it sucked, but they should've been happy for Dan. Luckily for him, despite them all being super angry at him, he just kept working and never gave up.

10. Don't give up on love.

Chuck and Blair never gave up and they are by far the greatest power couple in all of TV history. After years of them trying to be together and trying to be apart, they finally figured out that they just needed to go all in and get married and live happily ever after.

Bonus!

11. Never settle for anything or anyone less than Chuck Bass (whether in style, love, business, etc.).

"I'm Chuck Bass" might be the one line that will capture any girl's heart. Chuck is a role model for men's fashion, business and love. Never settle for anything less than Chuck Bass.