10 Thanksgiving Dinner Table Topics

10 Thanksgiving Dinner Table Topics

Avoid those awkward questions, political debates, and family drama with these simple conversation starters!

2790
10 Thanksgiving Dinner Table Topics
https://goo.gl/images/XTnm6N

Thanksgiving is only days away! As much as we're all looking forward to the food and sleep, one thing most college students dread is the barrage of questions from family members. How's school? Do you have a boyfriend/girlfriend? Why not? What exactly are you going to do with an English major anyway? These sorts of questions can get you mad at your family members really quick and leave you feeling attacked.

So, instead of being angry on this amazing holiday devoted to food, family, and thanks, try out some of these dinner table conversation starters!

1. Is a wrap a sandwich?

This seems like it has a simple answer, but never underestimate the power that this simple statement can have to begin a full-fledged discussion. If you want proof, check out this website: http://isawrapasandwich.com/

2. How do you guys feel about Turducken?

Turducken is a chicken, inside a duck, inside a turkey. Triple the stuffing and deliciousness, it should definitely be considered for Thanksgiving next year.

3. What have been your highs and lows today? This week?

Sometimes, the best way to turn the questions away from you is to direct them at someone else. Also, you'll get to know a little bit more about your family members and let them know that you care about their lives.

4. Can someone be educated if they don't go to school?

Spark a little controversy. Spark a little bit of deep discussion. You can keep the discussion going with questions like: Have you learnt more valuable lessons in school or out? Who knows, some great stories and lessons might come out of it!

5. What do you want for Christmas?

Or whatever holiday(s) you celebrate in the coming season. I mean, might as well get a head start, right? Plus, your mom is always wondering what to get your eccentric uncle; now you'll know!

6. What does it mean to be successful?

As college students, our collective general hope for the future is to be successful. But what does that mean? To be happy? To be secure? Is success even possible, or is it just a perspective? Ask your family how they feel about success, whether they feel successful in their lives and what their goals were when they were your age.

7. What's your spirit animal?

This is just a fun discussion to start. People can try to pick their own (in which case they must, of course, defend their choice) or you can have everyone take a spirit animal quiz online, there are tons!

8. If you could give the world a present, what would it be?

This questions could spark a deep, philosophical discussion or could just warm your heart and remind you that your salty aunt is really a caring person on the inside.

9. Corgis or Pugs?

Because, honestly, who doesn't love dogs? Of course, use the cutest images off Google to support your choice. Having your family divided over dogs is much better than a family divided over politics.

10. What are you thankful for?

Giving thanks is the reason you're all gathered around the table, no matter big or small, so ask! Remind everyone that this holiday is to give thanks for all of the wonderful things in our lives, not to argue with and get mad at the people who love us most.