10 Songs To Help You Feel Better (For Every Type Of Break Up)

Not all breakups are the same, but there is bound to be at least one song on this list that you find relates to your situation (ya know, kinda like horoscopes!) Each of these songs show us that we can survive, even if it might feel like the world as we knew it has totally ended.

1. "Love Myself" by Hailee Steinfeld.

When to listen: You’re now convinced that you will be doomed to a life of chronic feelings of emptiness. (Granted, this song is pretty much about masturbation, but who said it can’t apply to healing yourself emotionally, too?)

Empowering lines: “Gonna love myself, no, I don’t need anybody else!”

2. "Dominick the Donkey" by Lou Monte, Joe Reisman.

When to listen: Was he an ass for leaving you!? You bet!

Empowering lines: “HEE-HAW, HEE-HAW.”

3. "Gold" by Britt Nicole.

When to listen: Your ex-bae said nasty things to you and put you down when breaking up with you.

Empowering lines: “You were walking on the moon, now you’re feeling low. What they said wasn’t true, you’re beautiful. Words like those won’t steal your glow, you’re one in a million.”

4. "Stole The Show" by Kygo.

When to listen: You guys had a good run and everyone wanted y’allz to stay together forever, but circumstances just weren’t in your favor.

Empowering lines: “We used to have it all, but now’s our curtain call. So hold for the applause, oh. And wave out to the crowd, and take our final bow/ Oh, it’s our time to go, but at least we stole the show.”

5. "Where Did Your Heart Go Missing?" by Rooney.

When to listen: Because where the hell did his heart go, lol?

Empowering lines: “I don’t know where your heart went. It was here just the other day, now it’s gone. I’m gonna call the police/ Call the investigator, the heart investigator.”

6. "Irreplaceable" by Beyonce.

When to listen: So he made you feel like you weren’t all that special, huh? He made you feel like he’s just gonna go and replace you, huh? Well, you’ve got news for him!

Empowering lines: “You must not know ‘bout me. I could have another you in a minute. Matter fact he’ll be here in a minute.”

7. "Ugly Heart" by G.R.L.

When to listen: The guy might have looked like one of those ancient Greek gods on the outside, but actually has a heart of trash, tbh.

Empowering lines: “Your face is a work of art. Your smile could probably light up New York after dark. Okay you’re cover boy pretty. Stamped with a beauty mark. But it’s such a pity a boy so pretty. With an ugly heart.”

8. "Firework" by Katy Perry.

When to Listen: You’re so severely depressed that you can no longer imagine a happy future for yourself. Listen to this song while waiting for your new therapist to come call you out of the waiting room and into their office.

Empowering Lines: “If you only knew what the future holds/ After a hurricane comes a rainbow/ Maybe a reason why all the doors are closed/ So you could open one that leads you to the perfect road.”

9. "Who Says" by Selena Gomez & The Scene.

When to isten: Your self-esteem is currently at 0/10 because you think only losers get dumped.

Empowering lines: “You made me insecure, told me I wasn’t good enough/ But who are you to judge? I’m sure you got some things you’d like to change about yourself. But when it comes to me. I wouldn’t want to be anybody else.”

10. "Single Ladies (Put a Ring on It)" by Beyonce.

When to listen: Always. Now go dance around your room in your undies while singing into your hairbrush and pointing to your ring finger!! Your inner 13-year-old self couldn’t be any prouder.

Empowering lines: “I could care less what you think. Don’t pay him any attention. 'Cause you had your turn and now you gonna learn. What it really feels like to miss me.”

All Taylor Swift songs, ever.