I don't know about you, but this spring semester has been nothing but ruthless for me. One way I like to de-stress is by listening to lots of music. With that said, here are some of my go-to songs that boost my serotonin levels.
Subscribe to our
Navigating the Season's Upsides and Downsides
Personally, Autumn is one of my favorite seasons. The air is crisp but not too cold, there is so much to do, and you're not collapsing from the heat. I asked some friends and family what their favorite and least favorite parts of Fall. Below is the list I put together:
1. Pro: Leaves change color
The scenery changes from green leaves to orange, red, and yellow. The atmosphere brightens from the color change but dulls from the fog. It is a peaceful medium.
2. Pro: Clothes get cozier
Sweaters and long sleeves are starting to be worn without dying from the heat. However, shorts are still wearable without your legs freezing. Throw on shorts and a long sleeve shirt and you’ll feel comfortable in what you're wearing all day.
3. Pro: Football!
Football is one of the best sports in the Fall. The tailgates create a closer community and the games bring students together while they cheer on their favorite teams. All in all, they create a lot of memories for everyone.
4. Pro: Peaceful walks
The air gets so cool, the wind is crisp all making long walks bearable. If you walk at night, you’ve probably seen a harvest moon - it is the best looking moon ever. The sky is clear and the moon is orange as if a pumpkin was sitting in the sky.
5. Pro: Fun fall activities
Apple Picking is one of the most fun activities to do with a group of friends, your family, or even on a date. Another great fall activity is carving pumpkins. I remember when my brothers and I would sit at our kitchen table and carve pumpkins the day before Halloween. It was always so much fun.
6. Pro: Start of holidays
When fall rolls around so do the holidays that follow: Halloween is right around the corner and then Thanksgiving is next, the day where you can eat as much as you want without being judged. However, always remember the meaning behind this holiday. While you shove food in your face, remember to be thankful.
7. Con: Allergies and colds
As the cool weather begins, the colds and allergies follow in its track. No one likes being sick especially in such a great season. Allergies are definitely a con.
8. Con: Inconsistent weather
During Fall, there is nice crisp weather in the morning then as the day goes on it gets hotter and hotter. At night, it is very cold compared to earlier that day. The weather fluctuates too much which makes choosing an outfit pretty difficult.
9. Con: Raking leaves
This is a chore that is not fun for anyone. Once you have all of the leaves picked up, you want to jump in the pile, spreading out the leaves again just so you can jump back in. It is torturous cycle.
10. Con: Summer is over and winter is coming
Winter is without a doubt my least favorite season. I get cold very fast and I don’t like it. During fall I can bear the cold weather because it is not completely freezing, it’s cool– there’s a difference.
The arts have helped me a lot, they will help millions of other people, too.
I have always heard sayings like "Why study art? Why not Engineering, Science or Commerce?", "Art won't get you anywhere," "Art is useless," "You won't get a proper job" etc. I have also heard of situations of the school board planning to cut arts in schools, thinking that students won't do well in their education. Well, you know what, you all are wrong! Arts make a huge impact on our lives! Here are the reasons why art is Important.
1. Arts improves your creativity skillsArt Artist GIF by INTO ACTIONGiphy
Whether it is cooking, painting or music, we do art as if its our own.
2. Arts gives you joy
I smile whenever I sing my favorite song. Any kind of art can give you so much happiness.
3. Arts relieves stressNo Stress Relax GIFGiphy
Don't you go to another world when you just sing or listen to a favourite tune?
4. Arts gives you the opportunity to showcase your talentDog Scooting GIFGiphy
Even words don't give that much opportunity like art does. By showing our talent, we show that there is something special about us.
5. Arts gives you confidence.
When I sing or perform, I feel so good about myself. I feel there are no worries, hence I perform confidently.
6. Arts helps you do well academicallyHappy Art School GIF by Create CaliforniaGiphy
Trust me, just a few hours of art will help you relieve stress and give you happiness. With that, your mind will be clear, and that would help you focus on your studies, and that would help you get good grades. If you don't do art for a few hours, your mind will be stressed and you won't be able to focus and do well.
7. Arts helps you to communicate with other peoplewomen and man talking outside the buildingPhoto by Alexis Brown on Unsplash
I connect with people through music. I have met most of my friends because of music.
8. Arts helps you learn visually
Thanks to art, I have become a visual learner. Learning Visually helped me a lot in studies.
9. Arts helps you to express your emotionsCookie Monster Love GIF by Sesame StreetGiphy
I use singing to showcase my emotions, whether I am happy, sad or angry. And above all...
10. Art is a different language
Art says things that even words cannot say. You don't need a language to understand Art. Just a small painting, or a food item, or improvising a tune or a step, can express a lot of things without words.
Arts have helped me a lot! As you may be aware, I have special needs! Due to that, I could neither communicate well nor do well academically. If there was something I could do well, it was music. Music has changed my life. Now I want to use music as a way of connecting with people. If it helped me, it could help a lot of other people who went through difficulties.
Arts is not a waste of time. It is not useless. Arts are very essential to our lives. Yes, I may not get a wonderful job, but as long as it gives me happiness, gives the best out of me, and at least gets some payment, what's the problem?
So my request is to please take the arts seriously. Don't treat the arts as a useless thing. Don't think that it destroys education because it doesn't!
To the education board, please don't ever think of cutting the arts. If you care about your student's education, then please consider the arts in your school. The arts bring out the best in everyone. Hope you understand.
And for all the parents, relatives, neighbours etc. Try to consider your son/daughter/acquaintance's choice. If that's what makes them happy please support them. Don't be so money-minded, and don't worry about what society says. Hope you guys understand too, how essential art is.
With art, we could bring in a lot of change! It could help millions of people! Hope one day, the arts will be considered seriously by most people!
From vibrant foliage to cozy vibes, explore the undeniable charm of Fall. Don't fight me on this one!
One of the most debated topics revolves around which season is actually the best; of course, this is mostly dependent on where you live and whether or not there are four seasons throughout the year. That being said, in the context of Marist students, here is a definitive list of the reasons why autumn is actually the best:
1. The colors
One of Marist's most significant characteristics is its campus, which is right on the Hudson and its coastline. During the fall, this coastline turns bright red, orange, yellow, and everything in between. You'd be surprised (not really) at the amount of Instagram pictures that show up on your feed from the end of September to mid-November.
2. Pumpkin Spice
Call me a "typical white girl," but I love everything pumpkin; having Starbucks on campus and Dunkin down the road, it's safe to say Pumpkin Spice (and other fall-y coffee drinks) are coming in hot. As a result, I will spend around a tuition's worth of my savings at the aforementioned staples of America. I'm not sorry.
3. Pumpkin/apple picking
You thought your Instagram was flooded with the same pictures before? Just wait until it's apple picking season. Marist is lucky enough to be a short drive from an adorable little farm in New Paltz, where you can get all the staples of autumn in one area: pumpkins, apples, apple cider, apple cider doughnuts, etc..
I'm going to be honest: I look forward to the punny apple picking captions that flood my social media.
4. The weather
Don't go ahead and tell me that the term "Sweater Weather" doesn't get you excited. Fall weather is chilly enough to wear big, baggy sweaters and comfy pants; who doesn't love being cozy in an oversized hoodie? Bad people...bad people don't.
Now, don't tell me a holiday literally MADE for eating heaps of food isn't something to be excited for. There's such a broad horizon of food offered that it's nearly impossible to be unhappy.
The best part? There's always seconds encouraged. Yes, I'll have four more plates of potatoes, please.
6. The crunchy leaf sound
Maybe this is just a me-thing, but that crunchy sound that fallen leaves make when you step on them is amazingly satisfying. No, I don't like when the pretty leaves fall from the trees, but if nature takes its course, I'm going to take advantage of it.
Also...don't even get me STARTED on peeling the leaves after they fall..
Definitely not something you can just light up in your dorm, but bonfires and smores in this kind of weather are unparalleled. Add some hot chocolate to the mix and you have one of the most overlooked experiences of this fabulous season.
So there you have it people, a definitive list of valid reasons why autumn is the best season. So next time you get into an argument with your friends, pull up this list and win the argument. Thank me later.
It's not as easy as it sounds.
While the idea of free time without a stressful job or an abundance of schoolwork looming over your head may sound like a dream, it can be a nightmare at times. Having a couple of days to decompress is needed for a healthy mind and body. But when too many days go by, it can cause a downward spiral of thoughts and feelings.
As a recent jobless graduate, I was ecstatic to be free from responsibility and take a break from my normal life. That was until I realized just how responsible I had been and needed to be to continue being self-sustained. I learned a few things in this month of unemployment that encouraged me to find a job as soon as possible.
PRO: More time for self care.Photo by Taisiia Stupak on Unsplash
As we all know, caring for yourself is beneficial for your mind and body alike. Sleeping in a bit longer than usual, pampering yourself in the bath/shower, and buying small treats here and there can be a positive influence. With a break from responsibility, you become solely focused on yourself.
CON: More time to overthink.Photo by Stephan Louis on Unsplash
There are twenty-four hours in a day and seven hundred twenty hours in an average month. You think about situations and events even in your dreams. All those hours are spent thinking about things and delving deeper into them. It turns into an endless abyss of thoughts. Definitely not favorable in a time of no to low stress.
PRO: More time to spend with family and friends.Photo by Priscilla Du Preez 🇨🇦 on Unsplash
Family and friends are important rocks in your life that will be there at all times. It's important to cherish them and make memories. Whether it's out shopping, out to dinner or just lounging around the house, all options pose a chance to spend time together.
CON: More time to get into trouble.Photo by Michael Förtsch on Unsplash
Having freedom allows you to go after what sounds exciting without fully thinking through the actions or consequences. It can lead you down the wrong path even when things are going right.
In every aspect of life, there is always a limit to how much of that thing is actually necessary. After having such a large amount of time to spare, I realized I need to keep busy in order to keep my life on track. That may not be the case for everyone. Some individuals may find they need a longer period of time to function. It's all about finding what works for you.
You can be yourself without having to explain yourself, because she accepts you and loves you just the way you are.
Have you ever found that one person in your life who you literally could not live without? You can talk to her about anything. She's the only person who will look you straight in the eyes and say, "You're stupid." You two can ride around or sit at your house for hours and always have something to talk about. You can be yourself without having to explain yourself because she accepts you and loves you just the way you are.
Well, if you have found someone like this, you have found a best friend for LIFE. I have a few girls I am blessed to call "best friends." National Best Friend Day was just a few days ago, so I decided to write about those girls who keep me sane.
1. You know me better than I know myself.
2. You make yourself at home the minute you walk into my house.
3. My parents treat you as if you are their child.
4. You laugh at my unfunny jokes to make me feel better.
5. You laugh at my funny jokes.
6. You know that I am weird about routines and do your best to help me "go with the flow."
7. You have been there for me since the day we met.
8. Regardless of getting into silly arguments, we always end up making a joke about them.
9. You take out your anger on me (vice versa), and you know when I've had a bad day.
10. You let me eat your food.
11. You buy me food when I accidentally forget my money.
12. You don't know this, but I sneak a fry off your plate when you're not looking.
13. You always let me taste your coffee that has creamer because you know I'm sketchy about creamer in mine.
14. You're my person.
15. You let me vent to you about my chaotic life.
16. You always want what is best for me, even if that means my heart will be broken.
17. You let me cry and always welcome me with loving arms.
18. Then you tell me to get my life together because I'm being stupid about crying over a boy.
19. A boy will never take your place.
20. You will always be my number 1 gal.
21. Nobody compares to you.
22. You are my sister that God so graciously placed in my life.
23. We often get asked if we are sisters.
24. You are the truest friend I have ever had, and I know you are my soul sister.
25. Sometimes you make me want to scream.
26. But then you want to scream at me.
27. When we scream at each other, we end up laughing.
28. You accept me in my sweatpants and no makeup.
29. You let me know when I look awful, but let me look that way anyways.
30. You are always honest with me which is sometimes annoying, but it is always a blessing in the long-run.
31. You are always down for Mexican, Wendy's, or Chick-Fil-A, or ice cream.
32. You let me eat more than a full grown man, but never call me a fatty.
33. Then you give me your leftovers.
34. You love talking about boys and drama just as much as I do. But lol at our single life.
35. You always tell me that God has someone special for me.
36. You never cease to remind me to give people grace when they really need a slap in the face.
37. You are moody, but I'm okay with that because I am, too.
38. You go on walks with me.
39. You are my workout partner.
40. People always ask where you are when you aren't with me.
41. You're always up for watching Grey's with me.
42. You love lazy days just as much as I do.
43. We can ride in the car with complete silence without it being awkward.
44. We love jam sessions to old songs that bring back middle school memories.
45. We have so many memories and inside jokes that we could write a book.
46. We can bring up stories from 7th grade and remember them as if they happened yesterday.
47. We made it through "that stage" together.
48. You don't count when someone says, "Don't tell anybody."
49. You would beat up the guy who broke my heart in a heartbeat.
50. Then you would laugh at how stupid I was for dating him.
51. You always made jokes to help me get over relationships.
52. I still laugh at those jokes today.
53. You always made me laugh when I didn't want to smile.
54. You always know just what to say.
55. Sometimes your silence is the best answer.
56. You're my mother when my real one isn't present.
57. You tell me to calm down when I get overly excited about things.
58. You push me to be the best I can be, even when I fail.
59. You are always proud of my accomplishments.
60. You pray for me.
61. You've seen me at my darkest and never left my side.
62. You've encouraged me every day to remember that I am not who I was.
63. You bring out the best in me.
64. We can't go long without seeing each other.
65. Sometimes we act too much alike and it gets a bit freaky.
66. We complete each others sentences.
67. We say the same thing at the same time.
68. You are the one person I want to talk to when something exciting happens.
69. You are also the person I want to talk to after I have an awful day.
70. You are my constant.
71. You are my role model.
72. You make me feel at home when I am far away.
73. You help me grow in my relationship with Christ.
74. You are YOU!
I consider myself an extremely blessed individual. I mean, to put up with me is a job on its own, but to actually be my best friend through it all is something to be proud of. I could not be more thankful for the best friends I have in my life.
"A man of many companions may come to ruin, but there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother." -Proverbs 18:24
1. Brittany Morgan, National Writer's Society
2. Radhi, SUNY Stony Brook
3. Kristen Haddox, Penn State University
4. Jennifer Kustanovich, SUNY Stony Brook
5. Clare Regelbrugge, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign