10 Signs You're An Ambivert

10 Signs You're An Ambivert

Are you an ambivert?

24
10 Signs You're An Ambivert

We have all taken those quizzes that determine what our personalities are; most importantly, what type of person you - outgoing or shy. In other words, if you had to choose, would you consider yourself an introvert or extrovert? Is there a middle-ground some of us are inside of? There is a new term that associates those who inhibit both parts of introvert and extrovert. Think of this like a sandwich; the bread is the extrovert, it likes to be outside. The introvert is the lettuce, tomato, and cheese, it wants to be inside, and away from the stimulation of the outside world. Now, this next part is the meat of the sandwich. This part loves being with friends, meeting new people, and likes to spend their time with themselves. This person is called an ambivert. So, what exactly is an ambivert?

An ambivert, by definition, is an individual who enjoys being in small crowds of people they know, but they also like their alone time, whether it's at home or on the road going to the store. So, you're wondering how to tell if you are an ambivert. There are signs, and I will list them out so you, the reader, can determine if you are the meat of the sandwich, or part of the mainstream groups of the bread or lettuce, tomato, and cheese.

1. You are used to crowds, and like being around them, but you aren't too excited to be in them.

This is a very common sign amongst most who declare themselves ambiverts. Your friends might think its strange, but it's just in your nature to not be in crowds.

2. Small talk is cool, but intimate conversation is where it's at.

Whether it's between classes, or with a group of strangers and that one friend who introduced you to those strangers, small talk can be created. But when it's with you and just that one friend, the intimate conversations, dark secrets, and the yearning for intimacy in conversation is made. Just the two of you.

3. Feel strange about the energy? That is your personality adjusting.

When it comes to parties, or any sort of atmosphere that requires you to be serious, you will find yourself adjusting between sides. Your introvert goes to serious mode, and the extrovert in you comes out to play when it is you and your group of friends having fun. Even if it isn't an event, it could be with another extrovert or introvert. You would either dial down a little for the introvert, or meet the same level as the extrovert.

4. You get drained easily.

Have too much fun? Do you get drained easily after being around others for long periods of time? Do you need a coffee break? If you answered yes to those three questions, then you are most likely prone to losing energy easy. This is not a bad sign, this is most likely the most obvious sign for an ambivert.

5. Feeling overwhelmed is normal, sometimes.

When it comes to experiences, you are bound to meet new people everywhere you go. I'm not going to lie, I am petrified of the thought that I have to meet a new person, sometimes on my own, and a friend leaves me and that new person here. It can be uncomfortable, but making the most of it and attempting to continue a conversation with the person can be easy if you relate with them well.

6. Projects can be a nightmare.

When it comes to completing assignments, you sometimes like the independence. However, having fun with friends on a project is nice, as you can combine and go over ideas. Other times, though, it's much better to do it yourself, as you won't be distracted and it is impossible to get off topic when you're doing the work.

7. You understand both sides of the spectrum.

In groups, or even outside by yourself, you can easily pick out who is an extrovert or introvert, or even like yourself, an ambivert. You understand both sides, and are open to getting know each person from each personality.

8. Conversations suddenly become more interesting when something you're interested in comes up.

You don't mind going into great detail on a subject that you're interested in. If you're into food, you wouldn't mind talking about your favorites, even if the conversation is with complete strangers.

9. You overthink things.

Thinking of going to that party? Think again, because you also have a paper due at midnight. You also have to call your mom, but at the same time she might not want to talk. Your friends have been going out without you, they have reasons, but you might think the reasons aren't good enough. This is overthinking, and if you overthink things, or even second guess yourself, you are an ambivert.

10. There is an advantage to being an ambivert.

What is your major? Business? English? Theatre? Communications? You may think these are only for extroverts, but believe or not, studies have shown that ambiverts do well and are highly preferred when it comes to hiring and performing the job. Extroverts and introverts are nice, but ambiverts are just a little more favored than the rest.

Now, don't question your friends and ask if they are like you. Every personality is different and each can have each trait from this list. Ambiverts are different, and most likely, you are different because you are the meat of the sandwich. You like to experience with both groups and even influence someone in both groups to experience the other side of the spectrum. As an ambivert myself, I get the best of both worlds.