10 Life Lessons You Can Learn From Kat Von D

"I have gone my entire existence trying to send such an opposite message so why would I want to be associated with that." -Kat Von D

135
huffingtonpost.com

Coming from a family covered in tattoos, Kat Von D is one celebrity that I paid attention to growing up. I have always admired Kat's aesthetic, but even more admirable is her attitude towards life and the well being of others. Kat is one celebrity that usually stays on the down low, for the most part. However she recently posted a picture, followed by a video explaining why she is choosing to disassociate herself from her now ex-friend and fellow cosmetic entrepreneur, Jeffree Star.

Kat typically minds her own business and stays out of drama when it comes to social media and how she presents herself, so you know when she calls someone out that it is probably a big deal.

Kat Von D and Jeffree Star have been friends for about ten years, she even presented him the opportunity to start his own cosmetic line. That is when things got complicated. According to Kat, she set Jeffree up with artist B.J. Betts to design his logos for his cosmetic line. Jeffree used B.J.'s design, and then never paid him for it.

Jeffree later posted a video response to Kat, and he said the B.J. had been paid.

While that wasn't the only reason Kat decided to disassociate herself from Jeffree (he has a history of verbally attacking, bullying and degrading many people), it did "draw a line in the sand" according to Kat.

Kat was classy and composed in her video, immediately noting that in no way was she trying to bash anybody, she was just simply stating facts, and that is what she did. Kat not only got the point across that she does not want to be associated with negative people, but she also made some important points that you should consider while going through life.

1. Surround yourself with positive people.

Kat explains that "its important for me that my fans and followers know where I stand with this, because the way that Jeffree chooses to live his life and treat other people is not something that I personally agree with. So being associated with someone who does some of the things he does always makes me nervous, because I don't want my fans and followers to think that is a good example of how we should be with each other and how we should treat the people in our lives and the people surrounding us."

Have you ever heard of guilt by association? It is not something that you want to be accused of, if you surround yourself with people who are living a lifestyle that you don't agree with, other people will associate you with that life style. Weed out the bad seeds in your life.

2. People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

In her video Kat explains how Jeffree "commanded his followers to attack a much smaller lip gloss brand" for accidentally labeling something with carmine (a red dye made from beetles) even though they claimed to be vegan. While Jeffree's products are vegan, he eats and uses animal products, as well as promotes brands such as MAC, who is famous for testing their products on animals.

It is pretty contradictory to attack a small brand for human error (using beetle based dye) when you promote brands who tests their products on animals (which tortures and even kills them).

If you are not 100% perfect then you have no room to bash someone else.

3. Give credit where credit is due.

Kat said, "I always credit him [BJ Betts] for the art work and the lettering and all the openings for [her videos] and that's because it's important. As an artist we work super hard at creating something and it really sucks when someone steals that and exploits it and doesn't give you any credit let alone payment."

Everyone deserves credit for their hard work. We are all just trying to get by in life, and if we could just help each other out along the way we would all be much more successful. Appreciate and support the people that provide services to you that you can not provide yourself. Appreciate and support all the people you come by that are trying to make it.

"That's the kind of behavior done by corporations that are heartless" Kat explains, "people aren't interested in you as an artist they are just interested in you as a dollar sign or by how much they can take advantage of you that's not cool."

Artists especially get the short end of the stick when it comes to getting support as well as getting paid for their work. Everyone wants art hanging on their walls and movies to watch, music to listen to and books to read. But nobody wants to pay or support the people trying to make those things happen.

4. Be humble.

Kat explains how Jeffree is "trying to promote this life style where your value is determined by the brand of purse that you wear or how big your house is or how many cars you drive...you can't sit there and post all these videos of you getting ready with your Rolls-Royce and you can't pay a guy who worked really hard for you. What kind of message does that send out to anybody and everybody? I think its the wrong message."

Always pay off your debts first. Of course its okay to treat yourself, but you shouldn't feel okay with showing off your $300,000 car when there's a man out there with a family that did work for you and didn't get paid for it.

"The Jeffrey that he is now is a monster. This big attention seeking, fame desiring, money driven monster."

Don't be any of those things, just don't. You can't take your attention, fame, and money with you when your gone, so stop putting all of your energy into it.

5. Do the right thing.

"As long as you have the option to do the right thing why not do that?" Kat asks.

I think that says it all, why do things morally and ethically wrong when you have the option to do what is right?

6. Be an adult.

"Instead of just blocking me we could of just talked it out." Kat said, as Jeffree blocked her number after she texted him about paying B.J.

You can not run away from your responsibilities and your problems. If you did something wrong, own up to it. Blocking people isn't going to get you any where, clearly there are other ways for people to reach out to you. What could have just been a one on one conversation solving the problem turned into a video that 7 million people saw. Now, instead of your friend just knowing that your a jerk, 7 million people know you are a jerk.

7. There is always room for growth.

After elaborating on how Jeffree's morals are not exactly strong, she goes on to say that "it's not to say he doesn't have an opportunity to change; I think everybody does. And I'm a good example of that I think."

Of course no body is perfect, Kat had a very far from perfect past life style including drugs, alcohol and partying. She is now nine years sober of drugs and alcohol, which is an incredible accomplishment. She doesn't use her sobriety to rub in anyone's face but rather to show people that there is opportunity to change.

"I do send Jeffree a lot of love and hope that one day he will figure it out and I'll be here if ever he wants to make amends with me, but I definitely won't hold my breath on that one." Kat wrapped up her video sending love to Jeffree with arms wide open when ever he is ready.

You can not force someone to change, it will only happen when they are ready for it to happen. Which is why Kat is not holding her breath on him changing. It is important to be there for others when they are ready to change, but it is also important to know that you can't rush the process, it will happen when it happens.

8. Don't pick sides.

"If people were picking on you the way you pick on people, I would stand up for you too" Kat said.

It is important to never pick sides based off of who you know and instead side with your morals. If your best friend is doing something you personally do not agree with, don't support it. Be consistent with what you believe in, that is so important when creating an image for yourself.

Kat explains how she "regrets being a part of helping someone become so self absorbed when I could of at least spoke up a lot sooner."

Speak up for what you believe in. If you see something happening that you don't like, speak up. If you want something to change, speak up.

9. Be positive.

Kat is sending "positive vibes his way, hopefully he can make some changes in his life so that he is not just continuously hurting people around him."

Staying positive is an extremely essential key to life. Especially when dealing with the negative people in your life, they need you to send all the positive energy you can their way. Don't absorb energy, radiate it.

10. Don't sweat the small stuff.

"There's tons of more things that we should be worrying about" Kat said, bringing her video to an end.

World hunger, global warming, animal rights, the list could go on forever. There are so many more important issues out there to focus on, don't put your energy into being upset about small things and people who are irrelevant to your life.

While there is a lot more you can take from Kat's video, the whole point of it was to let her followers know that although she and Jeffree were friends in the past, she is not going to support someone who's morals do not match up with hers. "I have gone my entire existence trying to send such an opposite message so why would I want to be associated with that." -Kat Von D