10 Lessons Learned From Driving A 'Beater'

It's a blessing and a curse.

747
Grace Duda

When every teenager turns 16, you imagine waking up on your birthday to a bright, new and shiny car sitting in the driveway with a bow on it for you to strut around town in. If you are like myself, however, you got an old hand-me-down from a relative that is older than you are. Having a “beater” car seemed like the end of the world at the time, considering I drove the oldest car of all of my classmates. Yes, it is unfair that your best friend drives a brand new car while yours doesn’t even have a CD player, but that’s life. Driving a “beater” is not all bad, though. I learned many valuable life lessons from driving my 1993 Honda Civic LX.

1. Expect the worst, hope for the best.

With a “beater,” anything can go wrong at anytime. Taking time to expect and plan for the worst case scenario is a useful skill to have for life. Life is not a fairytale and will not always go the way you imagined. By expecting the worst but hoping for the best, you are being realistic with both yourself and those around you. And, it makes the times when the best case scenario happens all that much sweeter.

2. Preparation is key.

When I would drive my “beater,” I would keep supplies such as antifreeze, gas, duct tape and many others in the trunk in case I broke down unexpectedly. Given that the car proved rather unreliable, I took measures to always be prepared in case something occurred that shouldn’t have. This applies to life as well. Whether it be saving money for an unexpected expense or planning ahead in preparation for an upcoming exam, preparation is everything. Preparation makes everyday more manageable and less stressful.

3. Appreciate what you have

In the US especially, it is hard to imagine life without music, without air conditioning or without a vehicle to drive. Having a “beater” helped me to learn to appreciate all that I have. After all, my car could blow a gasket tomorrow and be totaled. When you are without things, it makes you appreciate them so much more. When my car had to be in the shop, getting it back proved that much sweeter. You never know when something will be taken away, so appreciate everything while you have it.

4. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I will be the first to admit that I hated my car a majority of the time. Having something that is unreliable and not as nice as the one your friends have is rather frustrating at times. After a while, though, my car grew on me. It became my identity. People would know that I arrived when they would see my car pulling in. For this reason, I saw it as beautiful. My car became uniquely mine, and because of this I took great pride in it. An outsider would see it as a glorified piece of garage, but for myself it became my link to independence and the world. Some things are only beautiful or appreciated by the beholder, and a “beater” is no exception.

5. How a car works.

Since my car broke down and had various issues almost weekly, I became friendly with how a car works. Need to know where to put coolant in your engine? I’m your girl. With car troubles, I gained knowledge on the ins-and-outs of my car and how to fix certain issues on my own. This is a life skill for anyone. If the problem is minor enough, it is more convenient to solve the issue on your own. Plus, you are much more aware of how to maintain and keep your car running at its best.

6. Have a "plan B."

Life is not always going to turn out the way you plan. For example, your car might break down on the way to work. Or, it could not start in the morning when you are already running late. These troubling occurrences happen. Sure, they may happen with an older car more than with a newer car, but it could still happen to anyone. Being cognizant of this and having a backup plan for when the day does not go as you plan is vital in success in life.

7. Only buy what you need.

Most of the time, my car got me from point “A” to point “B” well and effectively. Sure, having a CD player and working air conditioning would have been wonderful, but in reality, a car is meant for transportation. Given that my car did this, it can be considered successful. As a 16 year-old, I did not exactly roll in money, so using this less expensive option helped me to save money for school and other worthier causes in my life. Only buying what you need can pay off and cause less stress for the future.

8. Newer is not always better.

While there are a plethora of benefits to having a new car, newer is not always better. Teen drivers are extremely likely to get into an accident within their first several years of driving. Personally, I have been in two fender-benders. Since my car proved to be sub-par, it did not matter when I had these two minor accidents. The car is called a “beater” for a reason – it is not meant to be the prettiest! In the case of a new driver, having the nicest and shiniest car could potentially cost more money to repair. Sometimes, older is the better and wiser decision.

9. Sometimes, you need help and that's OK.

My car broke down. A LOT. Sometimes in a parking lot, other times in the middle of a highway. As much as I try to be independent, there are times when you simply cannot do it alone. Whether it be your parents, friends, or a mechanic, enlisting the help of others is often in your best interest. This is not a sign of weakness, but more so using your resources wisely. It is unrealistic to think you are capable of living life by yourself, or be able to fix every problem that comes your way. Accepting the help of others will make life easier for you.

10. Memories last longer than materials.

Partly because my parents are relaxed and partly because I had an old car, I took it all sorts of places. Considering the total value of my car is about $800, it would not be a huge loss if something happened to it. I did not have a nice car, but because of this, I was able to create valuable memories and travel all around. I hold these memories so close, and it does not matter what car I took to get there. Though my car is no longer in existence, these memories remain. As cliché as it may be, there are truly some things money cannot buy, memories definitely falling into this.

While other kids were living carefree lives with cars that functioned properly everyday, I would face a smoking engine, a broken axel or leaking oil rather often. This is not the most ideal situation, but it taught me so much about cars and life in general. So, be proud to drive a “beater,” and soak in all of the knowledge, funny stories, and memories it will bring.