10 Hispanic New Year's Eve Traditions!

10 Hispanic New Year's Eve Traditions!

Have a Hispanic New Year's Eve by following this list

7651
10 Hispanic New Year's Eve Traditions!
Juliana Mamani

Traditions are one of the best parts of New Year's Eve. Here are 10 Hispanic traditions you might not know, but definitely should!

1. YOU. MUST. WEAR. WHITE!!!

From a pair of socks to a t-shirt, wearing white has been a tradition in my family and the Hispanic culture for ages. White represents rebirth, a new coming. Therefore, wearing white will bring good luck and fortune in your new year!

2. Eat 12 Grapes!

As soon as the New Year arrives, you must eat 12 grapes. Each grape represents a month; thus you are bringing luck into each month by eating a grape. You also have to make a wish for each grape, one wish will come true in the beginning of each month. I would advise attempting this, it actually worked for me. They are also a healthy snack!

3. Eat Fruit!

This one is a bit similar to the 12 grapes, but it has a different meaning. By eating an abundance amount of fruit can guarantee a New Year of health and prosperity. So I suggest you gather a bowl of different fruit this year and place it next to the pies or cakes, then you will see which dessert brings you better luck!

4. Wear the Right Kind of Underwear!

I remember always going underwear shopping with my mother right before New Year’s eve. She said I had to wear a new pair of underwear that’s either white, red or yellow. White again represents a fresh new beginning. Red represents love and passion, therefore wearing red will bring a new love interest in your new year. Yellow represents happiness, thus by wearing yellow you will bring happiness into your new life. So remember to treat yourself this New Year’s by going underwear shopping, it means more than just a pair of underwear!

5. Clean Your House!

Well, let’s be honest, whether its New Year’s or not Hispanic moms will ALWAYS make you clean the house spot clean. However, not leaving your house spotless clean before the New Year’s arrive can be destructive in a Hispanic household. Not cleaning your house is the equivalent to the ultimate Demonio (Devil in Spanish) curse, you do not want that to happen! So whether your mother asks you or not, you already know you HAVE leave the house spotless before the New Year in order to guarantee a healthy and fresh New Year.

6. Carry Your Luggage Around!

Carrying a suitcase around the house or down the block can almost guarantee many travels in the New Year! Although, you have to remember to pack some items that represent where you want to travel the upcoming New Year. If you want to go to a beach- pack a swimsuit, if you want to go to a snowing retreat- pack gloves or scarves, etc. I also suggest to place your passport in the suitcase as well, and I wish you safe travels!

7. Have Money in Your Hand When the Clock Strikes 12!

I have yet to try this one but in some Latin American countries, having money in your hand when the clock strikes midnight can insure a fortunate economic New Year. The bills must come from your own wallet in order for this to work. So when you are clinging onto your champagne glass, remember to have some money in hand!

8. Burn the Past!

Write down all the negative outcomes of the current year before midnight strikes, then set the paper on fire (outside of course) after midnight! In some Hispanic countries, doing this will ensure that the past does not come back in the New Year to cause anymore negativity! So do not be afraid to burn away your ex’s or past jobs, you want to start the New Year being positive!

9. Throw a Bucket of Water Outside Your Door!

Throwing a bucket or glass of water out your window or door represents the same actions when you are burning your past- you are moving on. The water is supposed to represent your tears. Therefore, you are letting yourself have a better future by spilling away all your sufferings!

10. Be Surrounded By Family!

Family is obviously an important aspect in the Hispanic community, we live and breathe for our families- as it should be. Therefore, you must spend the new year celebrating another beginning with those you love. Dance around with your mother, have a conversation about sports with your father, go tell your grandparents how thankful you are for having them be your second set of parents, just spread love. By surrounding yourself in a positive environment full of those that love you, can guarantee you a happy and bright New Year.