10 Things Anxious Travelers Understand

10 Things Anxious Travelers Understand

The constantly anxious chronicles: traveling.

9
10 Things Anxious Travelers Understand
Square Space

Most people get excited while traveling. They probably think of all the new experiences that they will have, and the new people they will meet. If you're anything like me, the new experience probably isn't the first thing you think of. Instead, you're thinking about how the anxiety-inducing TSA officer is staring you down and probably thinks you're a criminal.

1. Going through TSA is an absolute nightmare.

Take off my shoes and put them in the same container as what? Can I put my purse in there? So my laptop needs to come out of my bag. Does my charger need to come out too? Please don't take away my toothpaste and moisturizer... I need that.

2. Where the f*ck is my gate in the airport?

Your gate is probably on the opposite end of the massive airport you're in!

3. What did I forget? Oh god, I know I forgot something...

This one is a classic. You either packed a week before your flight or just the previous night, and there was probably a checklist involved making sure you remembered all the essentials. Yet there's probably something missing because that's how things go for us. It could be something little, or if you're like some people I know, you forget your whole suitcase.

4. Is it supposed to make that sound?

The engine sounds really wrong. I really don't think it's supposed to sound like that. Let's just quadruple check before we go, por favor.

5. I'm going to leave something on the plane/bus.

Checking that you have every single item that you got on it with five times, maybe six. Phone? Check. Wallet? Check. Chargers? Check.

6. One word. Turbulence.

The plane is moving in a way it should not, therefore I am allowed to freak out.

7. I should get to my gate ridiculously early so I have time to sit there and do absolutely nothing!

Even if the airport is the tiniest, and easiest to maneuver airport in the entire world, somehow I still manage to convince myself that I need to get to my gate two hours before my flight even begins boarding. Why? The world may never know.

8. Is this the right plane/train/bus? What if I'm on the wrong one? Is it too late?

I think my worst nightmare is getting on a plane or a bus with the door and gate closed and having them say the destination is not what I was expecting.

9. Having a "what-if" panic attack during the safety briefing

Hang on, hang on, hang on. My seat doubles as a floatation device? I don't want to float. Are we even going over water? Oh, god, we're going over water. Wait, why am I going to need an oxygen mask? How far up are we even going?!

10. Buying your actual ticket

Is it the right date? Is it the right time? Wait, is this even the airline that I want? Should I be doing research about this?