A Journey To A Minimalistic Lifestyle: Part One

A key thing to remember is to get rid of the items that contribute nothing to my day-to-day life.

28
Photo by Jose Fontano on Unsplash

Growing up, I had the impression that it was healthy to save the little things. I've watched my mother save our toys and her old clothes in her closet. I thought it was really cool because she was able to cycle out outfits to make them seem new to others. I started doing the same thing but things began to clutter in my tiny college apartment.

I hated it. My comfort zone began to form into a space of anxiety and frustration. My room had enough room for a yoga mat but within a few months, my footpath narrowed and my closet piled high with racks and bins. I've read about how to start a minimalistic lifestyle because I wanted to breathe again and here's what I got going for me:

My closet is winding down to a combination of simple and formal clothes. What I mean by simple, I mean plain shirts with few graphic tees. It was hard to let go of high school shirts but I knew I had them for my conscious. A lot of things didn't fit or suit my taste anymore, either. Why waste my space on the things I'll never wear again?

I've contributed a small space for plants. I'm a very active person even on my laziest days. I like keeping my mind occupied and I find myself a little happier when I'm taking care of living things like plants. They also bring a pop of color to my bland white walls.

I understand now that being an artist doesn't mean I need to save a ton of useless paper. I held onto so many sketches because I thought I'd be using them for later projects or portfolios. I held onto that lie for so long that when I started a portfolio I used nothing from what I saved.

I've started throwing things into bins and bags but I haven't made my trip yet to Goodwill. Everything is pushed to the side because I know there is more to do. It'll be a slow process but I'm excited for my room (and maybe my life) will achieve a minimal look. Part Two will be very heavy with the more sentimental things.