The Little Black Dress Dilemma

The Little Black Dress Dilemma

Why the famous apparel choice may have "little" to offer.

3
The Little Black Dress Dilemma
http://hipatija.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/audrey-hepburn-512x384-312.jpg

The iconic article of the feminine wardrobe made essential by famous women like Audrey Hepburn and Coco Chanel leaves me more uncomfortable than squeezing into a pricey designer dress two sizes too small. 

Am I a self-proclaimed hater of heavy colors? Hardly. My closet is ruled by neutrals – dark and light alike. In fact, I sport all types of dresses on the daily from sleek and professional to patterned and breezy. A busy girl like me can’t argue with the comfort and versatility of a flowing skirt. What bothers me about every woman’s ‘go-to’ fashion piece is not in the physical bits of cloth; it’s the underlying concept of the little black dress that’s taken decades to stitch together. The mystique of this fashion statement masks the identity of a woman in an outdated style unworthy of the fashion-saavy. 

A Rule

To have a little black dress in the back of your closet is to be a woman, and vice versa. Countless magazines and internet sites claim this item is the most essential piece of clothing a woman will own. This, however, leaves the question of those women who would rather attend a date in a pair of sleek slacks than this familiar frock. Does this make women in pants any less feminine? Does society really determine a woman’s identity by the color of her skirt? Similarly, is a woman wearing her little black dress with pride more feminine than the former? Hopefully, not.

A Tradition

As soon as I reached the age to enter the world on my own, my mother reminded me of the importance of a little black dress in my closet. Everyone has one. "To leave this piece out", she said, "would be unheard of". Well, there was a time when bare legs left stocking-less was a crime, for example. Though I love my sweet grandmother beyond words, I don’t feel the need to perm my hair religiously like she does. Fashions, traditions, and concepts of beauty in society constantly ebb and flow; every woman should claim the right to decide whether or not she ebbs and flows along with them. 

A Mold 

When I picture Audrey Hepburn, I see the Breakfast at Tiffany’s poster with that unmistakable actress perched on my best friend’s wall – clad in a little black dress, of course. To me, this captures the entire essence of the infamous gown: a coy woman in a generic design. If the concept of the little black dress truly captures society’s expectation of femininity – as I argue it does – that may require women to define themselves as unoriginal and passive. Furthermore, Audrey’s dress hugs her figure greedily which may have inspired the idea that all women should wear this style despite their own size. I’ve watched my beautiful sister shed too many tears behind dressing-room doors when the “generic” size and cut of a dress won’t fit her curves. The high expectations of beauty leaves women searching unceasingly for the ‘right’ outfit.  

To clarify, this is not a broken record of “Shame on you!”'s to little black dress owners. I proudly wear mine to many events (my mother still to this day has never steered me wrong). I do suggest, though, that the next time an occasion arises to put on that favored vestment, throw off the long-lasted stereotypes. Boldly remember that any attire defines nothing; the fabulous wearer is the only defining factor. A reason that Chanel’s ingenious look inspired women so frequently comes from the women proudly owning that style. Own it – both a unique style and identity. Now, get out there and make our beloved Audrey proud.