You Know You Live In SoCal When ...

You Know You Live In SoCal When ...

Just SoCal things.

51
You Know You Live In SoCal When ...
Slightly Astray

Coming back to my second year at Cal Poly Pomona I have started to notice certain things about this lifestyle. Although the transition from a small ski resort town in Wyoming to LA county was a huge change, after living in Southern California for some time now I have learned to love it. I love the food. I love the beaches and the cities. I love the fast paced lifestyle. I love it all.

Something that never fails to intrigue me are the people. Anyone who lives here can attest to the Southern Californians have their own quirks that make them the locals.

You know you are living in Southern California when ...

1. When you find yourself hating on ...

NorCal people for their NorCal ways

And you hate on the Midwest.

And the East Coast.

And the South.

You mainly just wonder why anyone would live anywhere but Southern California

2. In-n-Out becomes one of your main food groups

3. When everything is low-key fire AF, dude

Every time I return home (to Wyoming) I find myself having to translate from the lingo I have acclimated to in California. For everyone’s edification, this includes the words "hella," "low-key," highkey, “it’s fire,” “it’s lit,” “turnt,” “TU” etc.

4. You complain about the weather all the time

It’s always too hot except when it’s too cold. There is really no pleasing the people of California with weather conditions.

But then multiply that by 10,000,000 when El Nino hits.

If you didn’t Snapchat El Nino, did it even happen?

5. You talk about your favorite Mexican restaurant all the time

There is never a bad time to go to Taqueria de Anda. Never. I crave tacos at all hours.

And you compare it to the one you go to back home.

“Back in SD (San Diego) there is this place right by the beach and it’s so authentic.”

6. But you also love Chipotle

Shoutout to Chipotle for being a real one

When Chipotle really is my life, I have no problem splurging for the heaping pile of guacamole to finish off the perfection that is my carnitas bowl.

And you spring for the $1.95 guacamole at Chipotle because avocados are everything

7. Everyone in California loves avocados

Like, an unhealthy obsession.

8. When figuring out the most efficient way to get from point A to point B, everyone has an opinion

“We need to take the I-10.”

“No, there will be so much traffic let’s take the 57 to the 60.”

Me: *Turns on Google Maps.*

Me: *Gets lost even using Google Maps.*

Google Maps: "Rerouting."

9. Then you complain about traffic

Whether it was this morning, happening currently or traffic that will happen in the future, you are upset about it.

10. Then you also always complain about everyone's driving

"Do you even know how to use a blinker?!"

"This guy is going so slow, why are you even going the speed limit?!"

11. But, when you are in another state, you believe Californians are the only ones who know how to drive

12. You have a favorite beach and feel the need to justify why it is superior

*Subtly puts in picture of favorite beach into article.*

13. You like to brag a little bit about where you live

14. Because you realize you are pretty lucky to be living where you are

Good ole' Pomona, LOL.