'Mental Illness' Didn't Murder Elijah Al-Amin, A Racist White Man Did
Currently

'Mental Illness' Didn't Murder Elijah Al-Amin For Listening To Rap Music, A Racist White Man Did

No, we're not surprised.

32
KC Poe

Adam Lanza, Dylann Roof, Jared Loughner, James Cowell, and James Holmes have all been convicted for murder. They all seem to be a "lone wolf," with a "troubled past" and a crippling "mental illness."

Oh, and they're all white.

Despite their horrendous acts, we still are spoon-fed the idea that they are humans and they just need help — that's all.

Another young, black kid was a victim of a hate crime, on July 5 in Peoria, Arizona. Yes, this is a hate crime. But yet here we are with another white killer who seems to be mentally ill and was scared for his own life.

The 17-year-old boy, Elijah Al-Amin, finished his shift at Subway and visited his girlfriend before going home.

Stopping by a gas station, listening to rap music, the 17-year-old was approached by a man an entire decade older. The 27-year-old man, Michael Paul Adams, cut the victim's throat because, Adams said, the music made him feel unsafe.

And of course, Adams' attorney is using mental illness as the reason the innocent black kid was slashed violently.

I have a problem with this for a few reasons.

First, using mental illness every time a white killer is apprehended diminishes good people with mental illnesses. People who actually deal and cope with mental illnesses in healthy ways are looked down upon because mental illness is associated with evil.

There are people who never seek out help because they are afraid of the images they will be associated with. Not everyone with a mental illness is crazy or a killer, but from what you see in the media it's easy to see why people have those beliefs.

And you know what, you do have to be a sick human to take away someone else's life, but that is no excuse to not be tried to the fullest extent of the law (despite, it being a broken system. That's a whole other rant, though).

If Adams' truly needs help, why are we just now, after he murdered someone, worried about it. According to The Root, a statement from an Arizona Department of Corrections spokesperson that says Adams was not "designated seriously mentally ill."

Mental health is an important issue that needs to be tackled. It needs more recognition, just not when an innocent person is killed and the killer happens to be white.

My second problem with this is the unfair outcome we'll most likely see with this. Justice-wise, sure Adams might go to prison and get the mental help he allegedly needs. But I'm talking socially.

Isn't it funny how the white killer is just one white person and doesn't represent all white people?

Yet a Muslim terrorist represents all Muslims. A black gang member represents all black people. A Hispanic cartel leader represents all Hispanic people.

So funny, right?

Absolutely not. People of color suffer every day because of the way we are seen. We don't get jobs based on our names. We don't get into schools, based on the communities we come from. We get killed by police officers based on the color of our skin. And apparently, we get stabbed based on the music we listen to.

People are seeing these killers get away with horrendous acts and they're not affected by it. People of color are not seen as people. So I'm asking, why are the killers more humanized than the victims?

Another issue I have is why is it so hard to have these white killers sent to prison when you have strong evidence — but people of color can be sent away with the tiniest suggestion?

Albert Wilson was sentenced to 12 years in prison for rape this year. Yet the forensic evidence was incomplete at best. And surveillance footage brings the time frame of the alleged rape into question — you can read more details here.

Or what about Jabbar Collins, sent to prison for murder and served 16 years for a crime he did not commit. More on that here.

Or George Allen, sentenced to 95 years, served 30 and was exonerated because he did not commit the crime.

There are so many more here, but what you'll notice is people of color are more likely to be seen as monsters with no real proof.

People of color are more likely to pay for things they did not do.

People of color are more likely to be killed by police officers, so no I'm not sorry a few Tempe cops were kicked out of a Starbucks. Seems like a small price to pay compared to lives unjustly taken whilst wearing a badge and a uniform.

We are the most likely to be victims of hate crimes. So we want #JusticeforElijah and we want to stop the narrative of a mentally ill murderer.