7 Things To Remember As You Return To College For Second Semester

4. You don't have to be friends with everyone.

359

The second semester is always an interesting time. You made it through the first semester, whether it was easy or not. You had a break for a couple weeks to unwind and regroup. But now, it's time to get back to business. Here are some things to remember as you return to your college campus for the second semester:

1. Your GPA does not define you.

If you had a bad semester, you are more than capable of building yourself back up. I have a friend who raised her GPA from a 1.9 to a 2.4 in just a semester. Many of the programs we strive to enter for our major have certain GPA requirements and it's okay if you don't get in at the same time as everyone else.

2. Make time for yourself, you'll thank yourself later.

Taking care of yourself is so important. With the stress college brings, it's easy to forget to take care of ourselves, whether it be getting enough sleep, making time for breakfast, or getting a small workout in at the gym. Something I strive to do every semester is to get all my work done before dinnertime, that way my time afterward can be spent how I see fit and without the stress of working. Granted, if I have to study, that's a little different, but I still manage to make an hour or two every single night to read my bible and do yoga before bed.

3. Eat breakfast.

This is one small habit I've built up over the years that has seriously paid off. It sounds a little crazy, but it actually works. By making time for breakfast every morning, I'm much more awake in class and I'm not distracted by being hungry.

There are some people who just are not meant to be friends. While that's incredibly hard to accept, once you do, it's one step closer to an easier life. It's so easy to get caught up in fitting in with a social group that at the same time, you fail to recognize that you're unhappy and you're not enjoying the friendship anymore. It's even harder when it involves multiple people within a larger group; I found it impossibly hard. But I will tell you, college is the time to experiment and meet new people. It's so hard to let go, but it's more and more rewarding each day once you make the change.

5. It's okay to be different.

No matter who you are, it's essential to discover and stay true to yourself. Forget about trying to fit in, you'll ultimately find yourself unhappy and itching to get out of the situation you're in. Be yourself. With time, you'll find those individuals that compliment your personality and you'll find your "people." No group of "friends" is worth being someone you aren't.

6. Call home.

Check in with your parents. As much as we don't like to admit it, they know much more than we do and often have just the right piece of advice to offer in a time of need.

7. Start the semester off strong, but don't give up.

You can start strong and end strong, but two weeks into the semester doesn't make up for the rest. Find your groove, find your routine, and stick to it. Give yourself ample opportunities to succeed and make room for error in case you fall sick or disaster strikes. It may be tough, but you can make it through the semester.

Some semesters carry a lighter load than others, though the tips don't change. Make the semester count and strive to do your best even when it's tough!