An Open Letter To My Future Self

An Open Letter To My Future Self

I can't wait to meet you in five years.

154
An Open Letter To My Future Self

Dear Future Me,

First off, I hope you're doing well. I hope you're living the life we've always dreamed of living. I hope you're surrounded by people who love and care for you.

I'm writing this letter because right now it seems like the life I want to have is so far away. To be completely honest, I'm struggling. I'm drowning in school work, stressed over the fact that I have to find a real job in less than a year, and worried that I may have chosen the wrong path. People keep saying that it will get better and all this self-doubt will pass. I sure hope they are right because right now I'm not sure about anything. So much can happen between now and the time you read this. You'll be graduated from college, working a job I hope you enjoy and living in a city that brings you to life. As of right now, that is what I imagine to happen in five years.

Who knows, you might be married... with kids! That is too much to think about right now, but it is a possibility. Maybe you went back to school to further your education. Worst case scenario, you are still struggling to find yourself, and that is okay. No one said you'd have it all figured out by that time in your life. I've got my fingers crossed that you figure it out sooner rather than later.

You got to remind yourself that there was a time when we thought we would never graduate from high school. That we were stuck in the same, monotonous routine forever. But we made it through, we graduated. Right now it seems like we will never graduate college. We only have a year left, but that year seems like a century away. But we'll get there though - we'll graduate.

I hate to say it, but I think right now is a low point for us. And that's okay. We're going to have many low points in this life. I just hope you look back in five years and are able to tell yourself that you made it through. You were able to make the life you wanted and it's a life you love living. I pray that you are unapologetically happy and truly thriving.

If you still don't know what you are doing by the age of 25, promise me this. Promise me that you'll do whatever will make you happy. Don't chase the money, don't seek attention, and don't try to please others. You need to promise me that you will only work to please yourself. I have a good feeling that you'll be able to accomplish this well before you're 25 but just in case. In return, I'll promise to work every single day towards making our future better. I'll make sure we get out of this low point. I'll do whatever it takes to make sure you're happy. That is my promise to you!