Writing For The Odyssey: One Year Later

Writing For The Odyssey: One Year Later

A Year in Review.

8
Writing For The Odyssey: One Year Later
theodysseyonline.com

This week marks the 52nd week I have had to turn in an article for The Odyssey, which means I have officially been writing for this platform for one whole year.

I find it fitting that I started writing for The Odyssey somewhat coinciding with the New Year celebration as I began writing at the beginning of the year and over the course of the whole year you learn a lot. I also find it fitting that I began writing for this platform in 2016 since it was not one of the best years of my life, but The Odyssey was something good that came out it. Having to write weekly when I look back at an article from a certain point in the year I remember what I was going on in my life at that point of time—so my life this year was literally measured in Odyssey articles.

Going into The Odyssey I was very excited to get my head back in journalism. I wrote for my high school’s newspaper and when I had discovered The Odyssey I realized how much I actually missed writing for the paper. I was also very nervous because writing an article per week is a lot more difficult than you think and I wasn’t sure if I would be able to do it.

Writing this much for a whole year I have learned a lot. Over this past year, I have learned…

it is hard to come up with creative and original content.

it is hard to put your ideas into written words.

that it is OK if your article only has one share.

(and that it is OK if that one share if from your mom.)

that living away from home is hard.

the feeling of being lost, confused, and wonderment if you made the right choice.

the feeling of dissatisfaction in an article that I didn’t put any heart into because I didn’t really care about it when I was writing it.

the cringe worthy feeling in something that I wrote that I later wished I hadn't.

the oh sh*t when you catch a typo in an article that is already published and wished you had proofread your article better.

the horrid feeling of writer’s block.

the even more horrid feeling that none of your ideas are good enough and not wanting to turn in a written article.

the awful and awkward feeling of not even having an article published because you did not turn anything in the week before.

the feeling of happiness when you put something out there that you worked hard on and thought was one of your best.

being an adult has its ups and downs.

how your writing improves as you go along.

the excitement when you create something fun and truly original.

to take time when it comes to writing.

not to force myself to do something when I don’t feel the motivation and that it won’t come out right if it's forced.

the enjoyment of somewhat professionalism when you write a more news-like article rather than a cutesy listicle.

the word “listicle” actually exists.

the thrill of when someone else reaches out to you and wants you to write for them, too. (and then the confusion as to why they never email you back.)

how to relax.

your words and opinions really do matter and have power.

(you just need to state them clearly and considerately.)

that living in a suite really is the sweet life.

the delight in finding the perfect picture or gif for a point in your listicle.

the elated feeling when someone writes about you.

to write about what YOU love--as my favorite articles are the ones that I was most interested in (i. e. check out anything Disney or ‘Hamilton’ related).

your real friends are the ones that you can pick up right where you left off when you haven’t spoken in months.

the bittersweet feeling of going home for the holidays and going back to school.

that writing is something I will never give up.

There was a time when I did think about quitting, but there was something holding me back. I just was not ready to let go. As my time writing for The Odyssey will one day inevitably come to an end, that day is nowhere in the sight of foreseeable future. However, I know that I will never stop writing. I don’t know where this platform will take me, but even if it doesn’t take me anywhere high up I know that it was worth it because I loved it.