Words From A Music Junkie

Words From A Music Junkie

For as long as I can remember, music has been a big part of my life.

24
Words From A Music Junkie
Bustle

For as long as I can remember music has been a big part of my life. No, I’m not musician, nor do I play a instrument, however I did take a “stab” at the flute in fifth grade and that didn’t go so well. Then I tried guitar when I was in eighth grade and I didn’t have the patience for it. What I noticed is that I didn’t exactly have a connection to these instruments. I was all about the ear and reading in between the lines of the lyrics.

I get lost in the music so quickly, that I feel it’s a religious ritual. Day in and day out, I start my day with music and end my day with music. I guess it’s something I’m really passionate about.

I’ve been to concerts, but I’ve never really been to a concert where I fell in love. What I mean by that is it’s not because I didn’t like the bands or artists, I just never really had that moment where I was in this daze of lyrics flowing through my mind and making some kind of connection to my real life.

I’ve heard songs I could relate to and let’s face it we all did at some point in our lives. Maybe it was slow down pop punk acoustic song or an emo driven notable song, that we accidentally discovered in our older brother’s or sister’s CD collection. For me, it was My Chemical Romance. My sister was watching FUSE on the TV and the music video for “Helena” was playing. The first thought I had was “This isn’t Hilary Duff…this is weird.” The song slowly grew on me when I decided to go and buy the album "Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge" and that was it I was in love with the album.

Now my music taste is everywhere. Evan though my music genres are scattered, one genre I will always have extra love for is alternative rock including its subgenres: pop punk, punk, indie, and underground. I always wish that I was alive to see Nirvana, Bikini Kill, and Hole. That era just seems very interesting to me. The culture, music scene, and just the overall atmosphere.

Discovering new bands everyday is overwhelming, but your music library just expands, which is never a bad thing. I’m always talking about a new band to someone and sometimes I feel they are annoyed. I do have other interests other than music.

I may be a music junkie, but that doesn’t mean I don’t know anything else other than music. I watch the news every day, local and world. So I know what’s going on in the world. Music just a high interest for me just like someone who’s interested in sports or politics.

I may not be an artist or musician, but music is still something that gets me through the good and bad times. It’s there for me no matter what. It doesn’t matter what genre you listen to. If you love music continue to love it and don’t let anyone judge you for the music you listen to or if you want a career in music.