What You Don't Know About Salem College

What You Don't Know About Salem College

There's more to this small, liberal arts institution than meets the eye

19
What You Don't Know About Salem College
U.S. News and World Reports Education

Nestled in the funky art-hub of Winston-Salem is the place I call home – Salem College. It's small, liberal arts focused, and most importantly – it's a women's college. This factor alone makes Salem incredibly unique; however, when people hear "I attend a small, women's college", it tends to not be received well. Outsiders and employers are prone to making assumptions about the capabilities that can come from such a small, off-the-radar school. Not to fear Salemites! Here are just a few reasons why Salem consistently proves these assumptions wrong, and why attending Salem is one of the best decisions I have ever made:

1. Salem College is actually older than our nation (founded in 1772!) making it the nation's oldest women's college and the 13th in the United States.

2.We continually rank as one of the most racially and ethnically diverse student body compared to other colleges.

3. Salem College rocks in sports, continuously bringing home GSAC conference tournament wins and being a forced to be reckoned with.

4. Student to faculty ratio is 12:1 which gives students a hands on learning experience.

5. 90% of professors have Ph. D. degrees and 70 percent of professors are women.

6. Law school admission is 100 percent. Medical school admission is 85 percent

7. Salem offers January Term, which gives student’s the opportunity to intern or study abroad, broadening the horizon for a greater understanding.

8. Salem’s president, Lorraine Sterritt, was just recently named to the Triad Business Journal’s list of most influential people. (REPRESENT)

This is only a mere glance at Salem College’s accomplishments. There is a common misconception about women’s colleges that makes people cringe when they hear the term, but women’s colleges are an environment in which women can collectively learn and build relationships. What can I say? Salem ladies are some kick-ass women.