Will A Second Impeachment Pass?

Will A Second Impeachment Pass?

Senate is moving forward with impeachment proceedings against former president, Donald Trump.

71
Will A Second Impeachment Pass?
The New York Times

Today at Washington D.C, Senate has voted in a 55-45 vote with impeachment proceedings. House Democrats started the trial against Donald Trump last night; however, they have met severe opposition from Republican senators. Though 45 Republicans supported this decision probably after January 6th Capitol riot where we seen Donald Trump fail to defend the capitol from radical Trump supporters.

This will be a long, arduous battle to gain a two-third vote or the support of all Democrats and 17 Republicans of the Senate. The latter will be unlikely since Republicans are still defending Trump after all his heinous actions in term. Sen.Patrick Leahy, D-Vt is presiding over the trial and the main argument that senators are constantly finding is Trump's status. Since, his term did officially end when President Joe Biden was elected into office, you can't impeach someone who left office. Many politicians and lawyers are chiming in on this discussion. Is this for the namesake or official means?

Does senators want history books to state that President Donald Trump is the only president to be impeached twice? Moreover, George Washington University law professor Jonathan Turley stated, "They have a tough decision to make." Wise words, because the backlash from the long-standing Trump supporters and Republicans will not make this trial ever less stressful.

This trial is not unconstitutional, but more of fixing and setting an example on presidency after Donald Trump shown that he could not be capable of leading this country. Whoever argues against this notion, can search the disruptive actions of the former president. While it seems highly unlikely enough Republicans will join in favor of a second impeachment, this nation has seen far unexpected things.

Scholars on both sides have chimed in with various critiques. Is it high crime? Surely, Trump's defense team will have nothing to do with it. GOP Senate colleagues have rejected this impeachment even 50 Democrats. Thus, can you truly impeach someone if they're already out of office?