Why Your New Year's Expectations Are Too High

Because we all want that "perfect" New Year's Eve.

27

The fireworks are ready to be lit, the ball ready to drop, and bottles ready to pop. It's that time of year again folks: that time of midnight kisses, sequin dresses, and promised resolutions. At least, that's what New Year's is cracked up to be.

While we all love an excuse to celebrate, the coming of the ever-so-glamour New Year's Eve night is the definition of high expectations. There is an uncanny pressure to have that perfectly epic night to ring in the New Year and for most of us, the struggle to plan it is an inevitable annual tradition.

1. The perfect event.

Every year seems to be the same struggle...what are we going to do for New Year's? Scenes from movies dance in our heads of confetti, champagne, and that perfect mix of classy yet fun. In our plight to find that perfect night, we spend hundreds of dollars venturing out to cities or snowy getaways to satisfy this yearly need. I mean, who wouldn't want to roll in the new year with snowy festival vibes at our favorite mountain-lake retreat. For some of us a house party will suffice and for others a night on the town with back-to-back concerts is a must. Whatever the plan may be, we all scramble each year to find that perfect location. Because the thought of doing nothing on New Year's is just unthinkable.

2. The perfect outfit.

While this may not be important to some of us, to others it's another necessity to check off on that "perfect night" list. Sequin dresses and black heels or maybe the perfect mix between snow bunny and warm is the goal. Whatever your plans may be, the outfit can make the difference for some. And after spending our life-savings during the holidays and splurging on our New Year's Eve events...the outfit is yet another tradition digging a hole in our broke-college-student bank accounts. But it's worth it...right?

3. The New Year's kiss.

Ah, the New Year's kiss. I'm not quite sure why that became a tradition but it is yet another expectation of this highly anticipated night. If you don't have someone, the annual search is on to find that someone (at least for the night). And let's be honest, most of us don't find it. And when that expectation is not met, it's a yearly reminder of the fact that we are yet again, single. But for some, of course, it can be the cherry on top to that perfect New Year's Eve to remember.

4. The resolution.

New Year's resolutions. We all make them. We all break them. Echoes of working out more, eating better, drinking less, and getting our lives together sound across the world. The gym is always fully packed that first, maybe second week back at school, and as time goes on...the numbers vastly dwindle. It's a cycle--a cycle of expectations, efforts, and of giving up, only to begin again the next year.

And that's just it. It's all expectations. Expectations of "perfection." When in reality, the first of the New Year is just another number, another day, another date on the calendar. We all love the opportunity to start anew, second chances and of course, a chance to celebrate. But what we tend to forget is...we can do that any other day of the year. You can start over on any date of the calendar and work to meet not some glorified expectation of perfect, but a goal to better your life on a daily basis.

So use New Year's as an excuse to celebrate. Use it as an excuse to travel or spend time with the people that mean the most. And maybe a little bit of perfection will find it's way when our expectations aren't clouding what really matters.