Why You Should WANT To Study Abroad

Everyone should want to study abroad, it is a chance to see the world in your eyes, to get a new perspective on life! It may seem scary and you may think:

“Oh, this country isn’t as safe as my country, why would I want to study somewhere else?”

or “I do not know the language that this country speaks, I can’t go there if I don’t know the language..”

Well sweet heart, everywhere is scary, even your own country can be dangerous, so why not go to another country to view a different culture? If you don’t know the native tongue, trust me, you will learn the language quicker than you will in a class room!

I would love to study abroad sometime in my college career, but I have people telling me the risks and the dangers of this country and quite frankly I really don’t care. I moved 700 miles away from home to go to a university in Wisconsin and why not travel another 3,217 miles from Wisconsin to a completely different country?

I recently got a fortune from a fortune cookie that reads “Adventure can be real happiness” and it is the most truthful thing I have ever received from a fortune in a fortune cookie!

Adventures have risk. Adventures can end badly, or they can end in happiness. You have always wanted to travel the world, see different things, and experience new cultures, but you are afraid of the risk, the cost, and the fear. Do NOT listen to the bad things! You will never be this young ever again and do not see everything in a monetary value. Yes, everything you do has multiple dollar signs on it, but you will be working the rest of your life anyways! Why not enjoy it while you are young!

I want to study abroad in Ecuador to enhance my Spanish language skills (my major is Spanish linguistics). It is also on my bucket list to travel to all Spanish-speaking countries, and I want Ecuador to be my first one (and Peru to be my second).

I also want to study abroad because I would like to expand my inner circle of life-long friends. Traveling to a different area of the world just expands a wide variety of opportunities to meet new people and create long-lasting relationships with people around the globe!

Another reason to study abroad is that it looks very good to future employers that you were immersed in a different culture. This experience abroad gives you a new perspective on culture, language, education, and a strong willingness to learn, this looks great on a resume when you are applying to your dream job!

There are many reasons to travel to a new and unfamiliar country for a semester (or a few weeks) and study; new people, different culture, strange food, unique languages, local/cultural history, independence, etc. Don’t worry about costs, risks, and fear (your own and other people’s fear), take the risk! Spend a little extra! Challenge your fears!

Remember:

"Adventure can be REAL happiness"