Why We Celebrate Women's History Month

Why We Celebrate Women's History Month

"To kick this off, women are dope."

529
Why We Celebrate Women's History Month
pexels

As we all know, it’s March. But, more importantly, it’s Women’s History Month! Now, some of you may wonder, “what does that mean?”, or “why do we celebrate Women’s History Month?”. Well, I am here to keep you informed.

To kick this off, women are dope (obviously). Women’s History Month was created so that we can celebrate all the amazing things that women have done throughout American history, because believe it or not, women have done a LOT to help the progression of contemporary society. For example, women wouldn’t be able to vote had it not been for the suffragettes fighting for it.The first computer programmer ever was a woman, though now the field is largely dominated by men. The first ever American flag was sewn by a woman. It would still be considered weird or abnormal for women to wear pants if Amelia Bloomer hadn’t changed the way women dress. A woman gave birth to Jesus. Clearly, women have more than done their fair share in shaping history.

The first ever Women’s History Month was in 1987. Up until then, we celebrated Women’s History Week, along with International Women’s Day, which has been celebrated since 1909. The month is meant to not only celebrate women, but also to be an anti-sexism, anti-discrimination, and pro-feminism, a few of my favorite things.

I personally believe that every month should be Women’s History Month. I don’t see why women’s history can’t be taught equally with men’s history. Controversial idea, I know, but that’s just my opinion.