Yes, I Want To Be A Teacher, And An English Teacher At That

There's nothing better than doing what you love.

132
Touchstone Pictures

I come from a family of teachers. My grandma taught elementary school for years, my aunt is a high school teacher, my uncle taught middle school, and another uncle is a college professor. You could say teaching is in my blood. As a kid, I never wanted to be a teacher. I was always interested in English and writing but never teaching.

There’s the saying “Those who can, do; those who can’t, teach." I heard that and didn’t want to be the person who “couldn’t." My Junior year of high school, I had the most amazing English teacher. She truly loved the subject and cared for her students. Her love for English was contagious, and I caught the bug. Ever since then, I’ve wanted to be an English teacher. I want to help students fall in love with English the way my teacher helped me fall in love my Junior year.

As I have gone through almost two years of college, I’m finally taking classes for my major. English classes are so much fun and I absolutely love them. I took a grammar class last semester and actually LOOKED FORWARD to going to class. It makes me so happy because I know that I’m doing what I love and I get to do this for the rest of my life.

As an English Education major, I get told a lot that I will “never make money."

(Little side note: teachers are underpaid and need to be paid more!!!)

Anyways, I’m not in it for the money. Yes, money is important, but it isn’t the key to happiness.The thought of helping students fall in love with English every day makes me happy! I know that’s what I want to do with my life. It makes me sad that teachers aren’t paid enough, because they influence the next generation, but teachers teach because they love it.

Having a job that doesn’t feel like a job is the dream!

Back to the saying “Those who can, do; those who can’t, teach." Let’s get rid of this saying, OK? Teachers are just as great as everyone else.There’s no need to be rude about it. I’m pursuing my dream, and I couldn’t be happier. I wish that for everyone.