Why The Southeastern Theatre Conference Is Important

It's not just a place to fluff up your resume.

180
Serenbe Play House

The Southeastern Theatre Conference (SETC) is one of the largest theater conferences in the United States. Over 4,000 members of the southeastern performing arts community together for a chance to share experiences and opportunities with each other. SETC provides a safe environment for performers to audition and network with and here are just a few reasons why you should.

1. Workshops

SETC provides over three hundred workshops for students, actors and professors alike. It doesn’t matter what you’re interested in, SETC has it. There are workshops ranging from how to deliver Shakespeare’s words to beginners burlesque dance classes. These workshops are helpful to provide useful techniques that you might not find in a traditional education.

2. Auditions

Oh god. Auditions. Auditions are probably one of the most terrifying experiences anyone will have in their lives although they are extremely necessary. Auditions mean jobs and jobs mean paychecks. Performers have it rough when it comes to finding a job. Teachers and doctors are almost guaranteed their jobs. Hundreds of performers have to literally compete for one slot. SETC brings countless theatre companies to hold auditions and provide jobs for the performers in attendance.

3. Networking

Networking is probably the most important skill you can apply at SETC. Countless producers, casting directors and important connections will be at SETC. It is so important to introduce yourself to as many people that you can and be able to establish these connections that will definitely be an asset one day.

4. Bonding

Along with the people you meet, you also get the wonderful experience of bonding. Yeah, yeah. It sounds cheesy and awkward but the performing arts community is a tight-knit community. Especially with the people you come to SETC with. Most actors come by themselves looking for jobs and to network. If you’re like me, though, you came to SETC with your school/college and you get to get to know your peers a little bit more. No matter how little you know about someone, you’ll become way closer than you’d ever expect after riding in a van for hours with them.

5. All of the Opportunities!

There are infinite opportunities at the Southeastern Theatre Conference. Networking, auditions, jobs, workshops, education, etc. It doesn’t matter what you want to do in the performing arts industry, SETC has what you want to specialize in. The opportunities range from dancing to directing, from lighting and design to puppetry. Everyone at SETC has their hand in the performing arts industry somehow and it provides a way for performing artists to connect, educate and perform all in one place.