Why The Ramones Still Matter

Why The Ramones Still Matter

96
Why The Ramones Still Matter

Tommy Ramone was, until recently, the last surviving member of the first punk band, The Ramones, one of the most influential bands in the history of modern music. The Ramones did for music in the mid-1970s what the Beatles did in the 60s: they saved music from itself.

At the time of The Ramones’ debut, music had become fake and rock had lost its fun. The most popular disco songs of 1975 (the year before the Ramones came onto the scene) are the same songs that modern comedy movies use sarcastically. The most popular rock songs were overproduced and overly serious. The entire music scene boiled down to fashion statements. Music was hemorrhaging and was on the verge of dying. But then, one band breathed life into the industry and brought fun and emotion back to music.

The Ramones brought back songs that were simpler than the contemporary rock songs, but more emotional than the contemporary disco songs. Suddenly, music had that thing again which draws people in, that pushes you to listen to a song again and again. The Ramones brought pop music back from its breaking point. The Ramones gave people the urge to pick up a guitar and say, “I only know four chords, but I have something I want to sing about and a song I want to create.” This is the driving force behind all modern music. Pick any of your favorite musicians and you can trace his or her influences back to the Ramones.

Somewhere along the way, people forgot about the Ramones. Punk became a dirty word and rock started to die again. I don't expect people to run out tonight and start buying Ramones albums, but I also don’t want people to let Tommy Ramone’s death pass without a word. If Tommy Ramone hadn't jammed onstage with his leather jacket and jeans or smash his guitar on stage, there would be no Iggy Azalea today. 

Don’t let Ramone's death go unnoticed. Don’t think that the Ramones are just some punk band from 30 years ago. They still matter, today. After all, without the Ramones, we might still be discoing.