Why Preseason Makes You Stronger

Why Preseason Makes You Stronger

If you can survive preseason, you can survive anything.

17
Why Preseason Makes You Stronger
Blackstone Orthopedics

It's been close to a month since I finished my final preseason, and I'm not going to lie -- it feels pretty great knowing I never have to run a fitness test again. However, as I reflect back on the longest two weeks of my life, I realize how I gained much more than a better endurance and a stronger body during my four years of preseason.

There's something about doing two-a-days with multiple fitness sessions that ignites a bond between you and your teammates. Between the blisters, the soreness, the heat, the sweat, and the tears you learn to truly believe in them. You are there to push one another and hold each other accountable to meet the standards of your team. Every day we would come back to the apartment together to vent, laugh, and cry about what we were going through. The bottom line is that none of us could get through preseason without each other, and knowing we are all going through the same thing helps bring us closer as the days go on.

One of the biggest rewards you will achieve from preseason is to believe in yourself. When your coach yells at you to get on the line to do your tenth 120 of the day, you have to mentally and physically push yourself to keep going. As much as you don't think you will be able to sprint that last stretch down the field, somehow you make it through.

As I look back, there are a lot of times where I wonder how I made it. Preseason is definitely an emotional roller coaster, as well as a test to see if you can last through the ups and downs. If you can make it through preseason, then you can probably make it through anything.