What's The Deal With Hanukkah Movies?

What's the Deal with Hanukkah Movies?

We have eight nights, we should at least have eight movies!

59
What's the Deal with Hanukkah Movies?
“A Rugrats Chanukah” (Nickelodeon)

Ever notice how you almost NEVER see any Hanukkah movies during this time of year? Yeah, us too!

I know there's a lot to work with when it comes to Christmas movies. Themes of happiness, family, love, faith, etc. are seen in almost every single one of them. But you mean to tell me that Hanukkah can't have those same themes when it comes to movies?

No, Hanukkah is not the most important holiday in the Jewish tradition. Actually, according to Jewish Law and the Torah, it's not even a big holiday at all. However, its close capacity to Christmas and capitalism have made it somewhat Christmas' Jewish equal. Really, it's to try and make no one feel left out. Unless you celebrate Hanumas (Chrismukkah?) and you get the best of both worlds.

But when Christmas comes around, us Jews are left in the shadows with barely any Hanukkah movies to enjoy. Seriously, go search "Hanukkah movies." Three show up! Search "Christmas movies," and a thousand show up!

Those three movies are "Eight Crazy Nights," "Full-Court Miracle," and "The Hebrew Hammer." The Hebrew Hammer is awful (sorry) and about a Jewish crimefighter who must stop Santa Claus' evil son from luring children away from Hanukkah and Kwanzaa in order to make them all celebrate Christmas, which I think is horrible plot-wise and ethically.

So, this is my call for more Hanukkah movies. More Hanukkah movies and books and bigger Hanukkah sections at stores!

Until we get a larger ranger of Hanukkah movies, here are my top three that are always great for a night in, eating latkes.

1. Eight Crazy Nights

Yes, it's a silly movie, but it's still a good movie. Any fan of Adam Sandler will love this. Plus, his Hanukkah Song from the film is also one of my favorites for the season!

2. Full-Court Miracle

A Disney Channel Original Movie that uses a Jewish school's basketball team in need of a good coach and a final game that everything is counting on as a huge analogy for the story of Hanukkah. Plus, it takes place in Philly, which is where I grew up, so I give it 100 bonus points!

3. A Rugrats Chanukah

You've probably seen this played on Nick every year when Hanukkah rolls around. This was probably my first introduction to the story of Hanukkah (growing up Catholic) and is still one of my favorite episodes of the Rugrats to this day. Honestly, though, it took me 19 years to finally realize that Tommy Pickles is half-Jewish.