Why You're Never Too Old For Disney World

"Growing up is such a barbarous business, full of inconvenience... and pimples." -Captain Hook

170

We live in a society where, now more than ever, it is an expectation to go to school longer, retire older, and make more money. It's all a part of growing up, and for the generations to come the workload and stress is being multiplied. But you know what, I don't want to grow up; and sometimes if I just want to be a kid again, I can -- that in itself is the magic of Disney.

I am almost 21 years old and have been to Disney World 22 times, and on two Disney cruises... Yet, I still find myself urging to go again. My family has been members of the Disney Vacation Club since I can remember, and I have been blessed with the opportunity to experience the "Disney magic" over the course of my lifetime. Honestly, I have to say a lot has changed about Disney since I was young -- but it just keeps getting BETTER! I am not ashamed that when I'm supposed to start being an "adult," I still find myself interested in the same things as someone learning how to read or walk. I am an enthusiast and here's why.

Parks

There is nothing quite like jumping on Disney's Magical Express in Orlando, Florida, and arriving under the Walt Disney World gate. After sitting on a 45-minute bus ride, you finally are at the peak of experiencing a magical vacation. Disney World is made up of four parks: Magic Kingdom, Hollywood Studios, Epcot and Animal Kingdom, as well as Downtown Disney, Disney's Boardwalk and ESPN's Wide World of Sports. Each park is unique and shows a different element to the Disney corporation. You might be thinking, "Hey, those are kiddie rides!" But have you checked out Rock and Roll Roller Coaster or Space Mountain? Try those and give me a call. For all you who are of legal age, you can check out "Drinking Around The World" at Epcot -- you have a drink, or two, or three, at each of the 11 countries that make up the Epcot's World Showcase. Bottom line is, no matter where you are on the Disney property, there is something for everyone!

Technology

From the movies to the parks to experiences, the Disney technology is always evolving. The movies have come a long way since Steamboat Willie, and the industry is constantly bringing "Grade A" films to theaters for children and families everywhere. In Hollywood Studios you can even see how Walt Disney's dream came to life. Next, the technology in the parks: With the new creation of the "Seven Dwarfs Mine Train" the technology is evident. This ride changes the plastic moving characters into ones with personality; the faces are digital so that it is more realistic for its visitors. Lastly, just the experience in general is fantastic. When I was younger we would have a room key, credit card, park passes and had to chase around the parks for our FastPasses. Now with the creation of the MagicBands, it has all become so much more convenient. The MagicBands allow visitors to access their rooms with a Mickey Mouse touch pad and gives them the opportunity to connect their credit cards and park passes, and schedule FastPasses online prior to the day of visit. The increase in technology is not only cool for children, but it makes the trip more organized and adults don't have to lug around the extra amenities... And the technology is still pretty cool to adults.

Holidays

A holiday at Disney World is a one-of-a-kind experience. Whether it's Halloween, Thanksgiving or Christmas, Disney World is there to put on a celebration. The days are filled with special parades and events that encompass the spirit of the holiday. Disney meticulously puts up elaborate decorations around each of the parks, and I have to tell you, it's also amazing how quickly it all comes down.

Food

Have you ever had a Mickey-shaped waffle? Cookie? Ice Cream? Sandwich? Well, you're in store. Disney World offers over 130 different food places to choose from, ranging from quick-service to table-service restaurants. Disney also offers an assortment of dining plans for its guests; each plan includes quick-services, table-services, snacks and a refillable mug every day. That way, you don't have to worry -- you just swipe your MagicBand, and a portion of your dining plan is subtracted. Despite the parks, there are a variety of restaurants in the resorts and Downtown Disney. If you're of age, there are many bars in Downtown Disney that light up at night. It's not a bad place to escape to after a long day! But remember: please drink responsibly and do not drink and drive. Disney provides a bus system that can take you anywhere on the Disney grounds at any time!

Tip: There are many outside sources that will grocery shop for you and actually have it delivered to your room. My family has used it since I can remember, and it is great for breakfast and quick snacks (also might save you a dime!) Check out: WeGoShop.

Atmosphere

The picture below is a security guard who stopped this little Princess Alli for her autograph in his signing book. (Click here for the article.) I have witnessed the security guards do this and it makes the children's day! The atmosphere that Disney World creates is not only done by the corporation, but of its Cast Members. All around, the magic of Disney World is something that is indescribable, whether you are witnessing it for your very first time... or your 22nd.

So there you have it. Disney World has something to offer anyone at any age. I believe that the Disney company truly works to make it not only a vacation, but an experience. I could go on and on about my favorite things, and I still find something new each time I visit. It is nice to know that with a busy schedule, -- work, athletics, academics, and just life -- there is somewhere that I can escape to and feel like I'm 5 years old again. Ultimately, I believe that Disney World is the best place in the World, and if the committee is looking for an eighth wonder of the world... Well, here it is.

Start planning your trip NOW!