Why Logic's New Song Is Important

Why Logic's New Song Is Important

Call 1-800-273-8255 if you or someone you know needs help.

356
Why Logic's New Song Is Important
Vimeo

Suicide prevention and awareness is an important topic, that while sensitive, still needs to be addressed head on. With the release of Netflix's show Thirteen Reasons Why, many people are beginning to speak out on the topics of depression, anxiety, suicide and other mental illnesses. While, everyone has their own opinion on the book and show, separately and together, almost all agree that it begins to breach a topic in today's society that isn't spoken of enough. Millions of people struggle daily with depression and it is not something to be swept under the rug. As a society, it is our job to stand up and know the signs of suicidal behavior. As individuals, we are responsible for reaching out when we need help and lending a hand when someone else is in need.

Logic recently released a song featuring Alessia Cara and Khalid entitled "1-800-273-8255," which is the hotline, National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Logic worked with the NSPL to release this song to bring more light to the hotline and remind people there is always another option. He realized when meeting with fans that his songs and the words he sings actually have an impact on his fans' lives. It stuck with him that he may have a big enough voice and presence to spark a change in other people's lives.

The opening lines to the song emulate the words of someone calling the hotline, reaching out for help and words of why they should not die today. They continue to question why they are even alive and what reasons they have for staying alive anymore. Throughout the song, this caller grows to realize that they do indeed have reasons to live, even it may not seem, in the moment, "it can be hard it can be so hard."

Not enough celebrities and public figures use their creative influences to actually inspire young people to do the right thing. Too many movies, shows and songs are focused on drugs, money, alcohol and sex, and the people involved in making them are focused on just the same. It instills faith in our society to see large entertainment presences using their fame for good.

Because it is important to remember that there is always another option. Suicide is not the answer for the end of suffering. One quote that often pops up on Facebook or Twitter is, "Suicide doesn't end pain, it just passes it onto someone else." This may not resonate with all, but it may put those thoughts into a new perspective.

If you or anyone you know is having suicidal thoughts, reach out to a trusted friend or family member to get help. If that is too personal, call 1-800-273-8255 at anytime on any day to speak to someone who cares.

To listen to the song, click here.