Why I'll Never Regret My Tattoos

Why I'll Never Regret My Tattoos

If you can appreciate good artwork on a canvas, then why can't you appreciate it when it's on someone's body?

181
Why I'll Never Regret My Tattoos
SmallTattoos

Tattoos seem to be an up-and-coming trend. It seems that almost everyone now has a tattoo or plans on getting one at some point in their life. It doesn't matter who they are or where they come from. People are appreciating the work of tattoo artists and have gained a desire to have one of their own.

But yet there is this stigma surrounding them. People, mostly from the older generation who don't understand the artwork, are constantly saying that the people who get tattoos are eventually going to regret them. They constantly remind us that they are permanent like we don't already know that.

Well, let me tell you something. I will never regret getting my tattoos. Ever.

Tattoos are pieces of artwork that have been framed by your own body and your own skin. If you can appreciate good artwork on a canvas, then why can't you appreciate it when it's on someone's body? What's the difference?

I love every single one of my tattoos. I only have three so far, but I plan on getting many more whenever I have the money. Each one of my tattoos tells a story and is personal to my own life and I could never regret the experiences and choices I have made in my life which they reflect.

I don't even regret my very first tattoo that I got as a best friend tattoo with someone that I am no longer in contact with. She and I had each gotten half of the quote, "she keeps me wild, she keeps me safe," on our hips. I ended up with the part that says, "she keeps me wild."

Even though I originally got that quote with her, I don't associate it with her anymore. I still don't regret it.

It has a new meaning for me now. Now it is simply a reminder to myself that I need to stay adventurous and wild sometimes rather than staying at home and sitting on the couch all the time. It reminds me of what I really want to do with my life which is travel anywhere and everywhere and I'm really glad that I have that reminder on my body for the rest of my life.

It will remind me of who I was and who I want to be for as long as I live. How could I ever regret that?

My other two tattoos reflect who I am as a person as well and I think that will always be what connects me to my tattoos. But that's not how everyone chooses their tattoos.

Some people choose their tattoos simply because they love the artwork and want to see that artwork every day for the rest of their lives. And there is nothing wrong with that. In fact, I think it's beautiful.

And how is it any different than having a beautiful painting hanging on the wall of your house where you can see it every day? I don't really see a difference.

So, to the people who believe that we will eventually regret our tattoos, please take a seat because we will never wish we could take it back or give them up. We will always appreciate the beautiful artistic quality of our tattoos even if you don't.