5 Reasons Dating Apps Aren't For Me And That Is OK

The amount of awkward encounters my friends live through don't outweigh the positives.

385
Photo by Daria Nepriakhina on Unsplash

A good friend of mine asked me if I started online dating like Tinder or Bumble. I had it for less than 24 hours and I realized very quickly it wasn't for me.

I wasn't really looking for a hookup or relationship. My friends told me it was like of like a game for them, seeing who shows up in the cards and who matches with you. But based on my brief experience, I just noticed everything that made me uneasy immediately.

1. Most dating apps are location based and that scares me

I do not like knowing who can see me and where I am. Granted, it's not like SnapMaps where you can basically pinpoint someone's location. With that said, I don't like knowing who can see me if they are in my area.

2. You really can't judge on a few photos and short biography

I swiped left on every single person because I cannot personally tell if I am even attracted to someone without speaking to them in person. There are plenty of handsome guys online, but I had to judge them on a short blurb, and on the flip side, I don't want to be judged based on my looks too.

3. Weird social rules on dating apps

My friends refuse to message a guy first and waits on the boy to make the first move. It's just putting outdated social norms on a modern platform. And other times, some interactions are strange without other parts of a conversation like a tone and a body language. We cannot forget the right swipes we didn't mean and not talking to someone you matched with in person.

4. Intentions are rarely fully clear

Online dating apps come in with certain intentions: Match.com is for people who are looking for a serious, committed relationship while Tinder and Bumble are geared more for one-night stands and hookups. Any intimate relationship can be taken the wrong way through these apps in my opinion.

5. I like meeting people in person

I am an old fashioned girl when it comes to relationships. A solid, engaging, and interesting conversation is worth more to me than a match based off a quick read and some pictures.

With that said, whichever way someone chooses to find a relationship is up to them. Dating apps are fun and worth giving a try if you're curious because the accounts are extremely easy to delete. They're a good option to meet people and see who's out there if you're curious.