Why Being a Millennial is Actually Great

Why I have faith in my generation - and why I won't let older generations tell me otherwise.

25
legalreader.com

As a millennial, I’m always being told that my generation is lazy and inadequate, amongst other (more explicit) things. Though it’s hard not to let all the derogatory comments about my generation get to me, I’ve learned to cope by learning how badass millennials actually are. Here are a few reasons:

1. We’re technology gods. The main reason all baby boomers look down upon millennials is because we’re all “too dependent on technology” or “can’t look up from our phones.” And though I admit that I, along with my other friends, am addicted to my phone, my phone gives me the opportunity to do amazing things that generations before me never even had the chance to do. Even if baby boomers think that technology makes us more dependent on machines, most people overlook the fact that technology is giving us things that we never had before, and millennials are the ones that are benefitting the most.
  2. We’re more accepting than any generation has ever been. It’s no question that millennials are becoming more accepting of everyone - the rising number of LGBT activists and feminists, along with other equality campaigns prove that this generation is going to be the one to positively impact society. Along with the large-scale social change we’re instigating with activism, we’re also changing our society with everything we do. Every selfie we post promotes self-esteem and self-love, something that previous generations were not as keen on. The social change that this generation has initiated brings on an era of independence and pride, in greater numbers than previous generations. We're learning to love each other so much faster than other generations - and I think that's worth appreciating.
  3. We’re arguably the smartest generation yet. Maybe millennials are always viewed as ignorant, but there’s no denying that we’re learning to become more innovative at younger ages. And even if baby boomers argue that my generation is growing up too fast, we’re also learning more - quicker. Science research is being pioneered by young adults, and new technology companies have made it exponentially easier for millennials to get employed. Older generations will argue that millennials aren’t able to function in the real world because of our dependence on technology, but the fact of the matter is that young adults are making names for themselves a thousand times faster than baby boomers, and are more prone to success at a younger age.
  4. We have Apple products. ‘Nuff said.

So, to my fellow millennials - relish in your Snapchat selfies, take pictures on your iPhone 7s, surf the internet, and advocate for what you believe in - because this generation is one worth remembering.