Trying Whisky Is Fun
Food Drink

Whiskey Club Life

Are You Whiskey Club Right for a Whiskey Club Life?

268
Whiskey Club Life
Photo by Andrew R. McKinley

So, recently I had my birthday. No, I am not going to tell you how old I turned, how dare you even think of asking. My wife gave me a truly incredible surprise. Now, I am not much of a drinker by any means, however, I do enjoy sampling and tasting a variety of new things, especially whiskeys.

Before I get to in depth, let me backtrack a moment. So, my wife surprised me with a whiskey club membership to Flaviar. She had originally signed up for it March and got accepted in October, just in time for the month of my birth. The box arrived, and within it, you will find a cylindrical package.

Inside you are greeted with a nice stone coaster, some information on each of your samples, and your samples themselves which are 1.5 oz of varies libations, each blindly labeled A, B, and C. Each letter directs you to one of the information sheets you get with your monthly sample. Now, the point here is to blindly taste each and learn the notes and flavor before knowing what they are.

So, I am not going to go into depth with the flavors I received this month, that I will leave up to you to experience for yourself if you so chose. There also is a handy-dandy app you get access to you once a member. Download it from your member login and have access to a large resource of information. Fingertips! One of these nifty app features is keeping track of what you've drank or tasted and adding your own personal rating and notes to each one.

What?! It also gives you flavor suggestions, drinks to try basically. General information, information on how to taste spirits, tips on organizing a tasting party, and a place to order full-size bottles of the libations you enjoy and have them shipped directly to your home. I haven't spoken about cost, so, here it goes. The particular membership that my wife got for me is only a quarter, so, 3 months long. That cost $60 for those 3 months. Now, there are other subscription options, but mainly the 1-year regular membership is $200, that's 36 samples!

Now I don't really think that sounds like to bad of a deal myself. I may not continue my subscription just as it really is a luxury and not a necessity in my life. But, let's wait and determine that after this first quarter experience. All-in-all, this is a pretty exciting experience for myself as I have wanted to do something like this but have never given myself a chance. I am looking forward to the flavor possibilities this can open my eyes too.