Before getting a dog, here's what you need to know

When You Give A Pup A Person...

Dog ownership isn't all fun and games, but with the responsibilities come a whole 'lotta love.

91
When You Give A Pup A Person...
Abby Shores

Our family just recently welcomed its newest member and her name is Luna. She's 50% corgi, 50% dachshund, and 100% adorable. I'll tell you, when you welcome a new canine friend into your life, be prepared for all of the love and attention you could want. When you give a pup a person, you should be giving them a new life-long friend, and you need to be ready for that sort of emotional commitment.

The wrinkliest (and cutest) member of our family: Ms Luna Dune Abby Shores

One of the biggest mistakes pet owners make is getting a puppy and expecting to stay the same their entire life. It's not about what your dog baby looks like, it's about how much they love you and your ability to give them a new loving environment to live their life in. Your puppy won't always be pocket-sized, but it will always have a place for you in its heart so you should be ready for the same thing.

Another thing that I think a lot of people don't realize they're getting into when they adopt a new pet is that there will be some trial and error involved. Right now, Luna isn't 100% house-trained and my sister's and I have to take turns cleaning up the occasional accident. Yeah, it's not super fun, but that's just part of bringing a new animal into your life, especially if they're new to the world in general. Dogs also have a tendency to chew on things, so you might need to hide your cords for a little while. It's a sacrifice, but it's a sacrifice that I know I'm willing to make for any canine baby I'm going to bring home with me.

Now I don't want this to seem like pet ownership is all responsibility, because it's not. You'll definitely have fun with your pet, but just know that it's not always fun and games. There are far too many animals in shelters and on the street because their owner wasn't thinking about what they were getting into. But pet ownership is truly rewarding. There's nothing like coming home to your doggo after a long day and seeing their face light up when you walk in the door. There's a reason they say that dogs are man's best friend. Companionship is what they love, and you can look forward to loving them right back.

To wrap things up, there's one more thing I should warn you about before you bring home your next furry friend. This little (or big) guy isn't going to hold back on the love. If you're looking for a pet that's going to look cute and want nothing to do with you, get a cat. But if you give a pup a new person, it's going to be licks and lapdogs (no matter their size) for the foreseeable future. I hope you're prepared for cuddles and sniffs and affection galore because if you give a pup a person, to them, that's what a person is for.