The #whatsmyname Impact

The #whatsmyname? Impact: How Awareness Rises From Tragedy

Uber and Lyft are supposed to be the safe alternatives to walking home alone at night.

32

The world we live in today surprises us with the advancement of technology, transportation, and many other useful creations to simplify the lives of many people.

As a college student, Lyft and Uber have become very important tools in my life. This is especially true because I go to school in the North Philadelphia area.

Hearing about the death of 21-year-old Samantha Josephson at the University of South Carolina absolutely broke my heart, and honestly scared the shit out of me.

Uber and Lyft are supposed to be the safe alternatives to walking home alone at night, intoxicated or not. Since I live a decent distance from most of my friends, I typically opt for an Uber to get home since I don't want to walk alone.

And now, it has gotten to the point where we even need to fear the safer option. It's sickening.

The movement of #whatsmyname is eye-opening. You really can never be naive or even too drunk when getting into your Uber anymore.

And it's sad because Samantha was under the influence when she got into that wrong car. So this all could've been prevented. Samantha's boyfriend, Greg Corbishley, broke his silence after admitting he was on the phone with her just before she got into the wrong car, and had a feeling something wrong.

"I was on the phone tracking her through all this, just to make sure she got home safely, and immediately knew that there was something that was wrong," Greg said.

The alleged killer's former basketball spoke out, stating, "This doesn't sound like the person we know and love,"

Well, he is a monster. Taking a naive teenager's life for no apparent reason deserves punishment.

And this kind of crime can happen to anyone. It could happen to you, your sister, your best friend.

So please, be aware. It is sad that something like Samantha Josephson's death is needed to create awareness, but it is the world we live in today.

Utilize the #whatsmyname? tactic. It's better to be safe than sorry.