What You Must Know About the Hidden Dangers of Cruise Ships
Travel

70

Going on a cruise is one of the most appealing vacations for anyone. When most people think about cruise ships, they think about blue skies, wine coolers, swimming, cuddling, a lush buffet, and total relaxation. However, as much as a cruise may seem like the perfect getaway, it is far from perfect. There are dangers lurking everywhere, and given the fact that cruise ships are huge, it is very easy to fall into one of them.

A cruise ship is like a small city with abundant alcohol, minimal law enforcement, and little vigilance, which is a recipe for disaster. Here are some of the hidden dangers of a cruise.

Unhealthy Food and Drink

Cruise ships take a while before reaching their destination. Though you will be enjoying a luscious buffet, the food can be unsafe, unhealthy, and even contaminated. On top of that, passengers enjoy an extensive access to seemingly unlimited alcoholic drinks. These are not only unhealthy for you, but they make it easy to engage in impulse drinking and overindulgence.

Food Poisoning and Norovirus `

If you consume contaminated food or drink, you face the risk of contracting salmonella, E.coli, or shigella, which are all dangerous foodborne illnesses. Norovirus is the worst of them all, because, it causes about 90% of diarrhea outbreaks on cruise ships. The worst thing about is that it spreads very easily in a crowded area, and ships are just that; crowded.

Mechanical Problems and Fire Breakouts

We don't mean to scare you, but fires and mechanical difficulties in cruise ships have been reported numerous times. The problem with being stuck on a ship is that you are miles away from civilization. People have been stranded days on end on cruise ships without any power to sustain food, sewage disposal, and refrigeration. Infections can spread very fast in such situations.

Fire on the other hand is a whole other case. Engine fires are particularly devastating, not only for the potential of physical harm and illnesses, but because the ship is at risk of sinking should the vessel start to take on water.

Negligent Security

Almost everyone assumes cruise ships are safe, just like their neighborhoods where children can run around unattended. On the contrary, some of these ships can be ultimately unsafe. Gang rapes, date-rapes, and drug use have all been reported on cruise ships. The bigger problem is that most ships have unqualified security guards who at best, mess with the crime scene. By the time the authorities get there, there is no evidence for them to investigate. Many of the perpetrators reported get away scot-free.

Slip and Fall Accidents

Slip and falls are a major concern on cruise ships, and they often end in serious injuries. Broken bones, spine injuries, and even brain damage are some of the most tragic outcomes. The worst thing about this scenario is that some ships hire unqualified doctors. In such cases, the best thing to do is contract the services of a cruise ship injury lawyer.

Fall injuries are also prevalent n cruises. The ship might lack guardrails, and crews might perform inadequate maintenance on decks and other slippery surfaces. No matter where you are on the ship, you must be careful of missing or defective safety precautions.

Conclusion

These are some of the hidden accidents you might encounter on a cruise ship. If you really want to take a cruise, you need to be careful and do thorough research about the ship and the company before you embark.