WHAT TO DO WHEN YOU HAVE TOO MANY COMMITMENTS

Don't you wish you could do everything you wanted to.

1962
Amanda Zantal-Wiener

Everybody is committed to something, whether it be school, work, a sports team, or a person. Everybody has at least one commitment. And when you're in college, like I am, you have a lot of commitments. You're committed to your major, your clubs, your friends, your job, or just that one really good food truck you go to every day. Here's the thing though, being committed to something is HARD.

Commitments are something you sign on to do, which means you HAVE to do them. When I say I'm committed to my academics, for example, that means I put it over anything else in my life, because that is my number one priority. Which brings me to what a commitment is; it's some part of your life where if something were to unexpectedly happen you would still make sure that your commitment is taken care of. A commitment is serious. When you are committed to a club, that means you show up and put effort into bettering it; it is something you're proud of doing, it's something you'd put your name on. It also means that you put in the effort to reap the rewards.

When you have too many commitments, you can't be 100% committed to them all. You're going to have to choose what is more important to you, and what will make you happiest.

In college, you commit to a lot of different things, and keeping track and being on top of those commitments is difficult. So a lot of the time you have to drop something, so you're not stretching yourself too thin and doing a subpar job on everything instead of a great job on certain things.

In the words of the great Ron Swanson.

This statement so important because it eloquently states one of the most important points I'm covering. Don't do many things poorly, do few things better.

Now, this doesn't mean you shouldn't sign up for a lot of different activities. It just means you should do that, then pick the ones you like and focus on those few activities so you can dedicate yourself to them.

Many people think commitment and associate it with running away and hiding in a hole. Don't be that guy; it's funny when he's eighteen but not when he's twenty-eight. Commitment is a skill and an essential part of adulthood. You will learn time management, focus, and the importance of putting your happiness first. You will learn what makes you happy, and how best to tailor your activities to you.

So, what you do when you have too many commitments, hone your commitments to best fit yourself. Leave the club, drop the class, dump your crappy boyfriend. Do what makes you happy and know that you will have another chance to try it again in the future. Live in the present and focus on yourself.