This Is What It's Really Like To Transfer Schools

College should be the best time of your life or at least that's what everyone keeps telling me and instead of that, it was the worst time.

196

Choosing a college that you plan to spend the next four years is harder than it seems. I remember spending days googling different colleges, acceptance rates, and campuses to be sure I was choosing the right one. I feared that I would pick the wrong school, that I would have to transfer and start all over, that I would waste my time and money but the truth is my fear did happen and I ended up transferring.

College should be the best time of your life or at least that's what everyone keeps telling me and instead of that, it was the worst time. I felt miserable there and I just wanted out. After transferring I actually enjoyed school more and it showed. My grades went up, I actually made friends, and here I am trying something such as writing.

If you're a transfer or thinking about transferring here are some things to keep in mind:

1. Even when you're at the right school, some days just suck.

When I first started college away from home I expected everything to fall into place like the movies I've seen but in reality, your experience all depends on how you make it. And for me, there were multiple nights I just wanted to be home with my family and that's okay, I've learned the dorm life isn't for everyone and doesn't make you any less.

2. You don't have to be a freshman to feel like one.

I transferred from a tiny private college where everyone knows you to a huge college that I can't even remember all 60 kids in my class. College is scary, trying to figure out who you are, and what you want to do with your life. Also finding your classes on a semi-huge campus is bad the first couple weeks but you can do it! A new experience is going to frighten anyone a freshman, transfer, and even a senior.

3. Sometimes you're the problem.

It took me a while to come to that realization. Somethings can't be fixed by just packing up and moving to a new environment. Sometimes it's you that needs a little fixing and that's okay. Maybe I didn't make so many friends because I am super shy or maybe I could have done better on that test if I decided to study a little more. Not to say the school didn't give me any reason to leave because it did but just make sure before you decide to transfer.

4. Even after all of that it's worth it.

I remember staying in on a Thursday night filling out new applications as all my friends decided to go out. I remember I face-timed my mom crying because I felt stuck and wasn't sure what I wanted to do, leave or stay. But waking up and being happy to go to school or even enjoying my classes makes transferring all worth it. The first class that I went to for my major I stayed after to talk to my professor because he sensed I was nervous. I remember him telling me "if it makes you nervous, you're doing it right" after that talk I knew I found my place. I feel comfortable succeeding here.

Transferring is a lot of work and scary but I promise you will find your happy place and it will all be worth it!