What To Remember When You Go Home For Winter Break

A guide before leaving for the holiday.

97

Winter break is quickly approaching, and the whole college community is frantic with finals, but filled with excitement about finally relaxing. There are a few things you should remember to do before leaving college for a whole month:

1. See all of your friends before you go.

You have to remember that not all of your friends live close to you like in high school. You'll probably go a month without seeing some of them, so give hugs and holiday gifts, and keep those group chats going.

2. Make a packing list.

Let's face it, we've all been in that position where we forget to bring home our favorite pair of jeans or our toothbrush. It's frustrating. So make a packing list now, that way if you remember random little things along the way, you won't forget them.

3. Make plans with home friends.

Make plans early to see whoever you want to see at home. Every college has a different schedule, so find out who is going home and when, and plan accordingly.

4. Savor the time with your family.

Being away at school, it's tough to see your family as often as you want. Savor the time you have with them before you're away for another full semester.

5. Take any job you can get.

No explanation needed. We're all broke, yet we still spend more money at college than ever.

6. Get ahead in some future classes.

As much as we don't want to do work over break, your future self will thank you if you get a little bit of that reading done ahead of time.

7. Make plans for housing next year, if you haven't already.

The sooner you make plans for housing, the better. If you take the month over winter break to talk to some friends, find a landlord or even pick a roommate, you'll be a lot less stressed about it toward the end of the year. Remember to pick someone who you know you can wake up to and not want to hit.

8. Remember to bring back your winter jacket and warmer clothes.

We walk to all of our classes and when we get back from break, it's the coldest time of the year. It would be pretty difficult to get to class if you turned into a life-size Popsicle on the way.

9. Play in the snow.

There really aren't sleds, giant hills, or places to make snow angels in college. Take the opportunity at home to bring out your inner child.

10. Unplug everything in your house, clean the fridge, and take out the trash.

Leaving any kind of perishable food over winter break probably isn't a good idea, and that and the trash would definitely be a rude (and smelly) awakening when you return to school for the spring semester.

So, enjoy winter break! But remember this list before you go. You can thank me later.