What Performing Means To Me

What Performing Means To Me

Because I knew you, I have been changed for good

60
What Performing Means To Me
Katie Manley
"We've got magic to do...just for you. We've got miracle plays to play. We've got parts to perform... hearts to warm. Kings and things to take by storm as we go along our way." -Pippin

I can honestly say that nothing feels better than performing does. I love everything about it: the nervous jitters, the adrenaline rush, pre-show warm-ups, backstage rituals, and running onstage with maximum energy for the opening number/ scene. Even as I'm writing this, I can picture those exact moments and how amazing it feels. I haven't been on stage for two years and I miss it every single day. As someone who sings and dances to herself daily, I'm constantly reminded of my one true love that I left behind. I have made memories that I will never ever forget. I've met people who I will never ever forget. When you perform on stage with these people, you become a family: a strange, quirky, sometimes incestuous, family.

Even though the rehearsal process has its ups and downs, it almost always comes together, even if that happens the day before opening night. There's something so rewarding about the process. It's just like baking a cake: you need to take out the bowls and measuring cups, then you find all of your ingredients, measure them, mix them, throw in a little love, and put it in the pan, then let it cool, frost it, and decorate it. You're left with a beautiful and delicious cake, but you needed to gather the ingredients first. What I mean by this crumby metaphor (get it? crumby? cake? no? okay) is that something amazing is worth while. Keep your chin up, have faith, work hard, do your best, have fun, and be proud of what you've helped create.

My favorite part of my performing career was seeing how much progress I made. I went from being super shy to outgoing, embarrassed to confident, second row to first row, and so many other groundbreaking discoveries. I found myself on that stage and I'm forever grateful to have had that opportunity. Being on stage, making magic, is my fondest memory.

To my past casts, crews, teammates, and teachers: "because I knew you, I have been changed for good.

Thank you.