What Not To Say To College Students During The Summer

I am little salty right now.

182
Koutsantoni

Every college student hears this line, "You're a college student, you need to be doing something with your life since it is the summer." After hearing this, everyone has probably took a deep breath and wondered how to answer this professionally. There are a few things you just don't ask a college student during the summer...

So are you just doing nothing and live with your parents?

Every time I am on social media, 99% of my classmates are at work for 20-40 hours a week. I have seen my classmates working 2-3 jobs just to make extra income. So no, not all of us just take a vacation on our parents' couch.

Why aren't you saving money the correct way?

The best way I can explain, is WHAT MONEY TO SAVE DEBRA? We collect a paycheck, put it in our checking accounts and by the time August comes around, we are writing a check to pay for that semester. That ultimately leaves us with enough for books or barely anything at all. I would save money by investing in stocks and using a money market account, but I need the funds first.

You should be doing more than working!

I feel like it's a fallacy that college students use summer as a vacation. We don't. As previously stated, we need to work because during the summer we get more hours. There is more to do than just sit around and be lazy. We all just finished 2 semesters of running around with a hectic schedule, it is hard to get out of that usual set up.

Back in my day, one job paid-

Stop.

This isn't 1930 when education wasn't important. Although I am proud of your generation, because you showed the world that the blue collared workers are the bloodline of America, college is a needed tool for many people to thrive. So working 2-3 jobs is usual for most people because sometimes one pay may not help out as much compared to multiple jobs.